Rear Hubs - Spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulosoxo

Hi, I seem to remember that when I switched the no name wheelset on my previous road bike to the Mavic Aksiums I have now, that I had to adjust the rear mech stop to allow the mech to shift onto the largest cog on the back. Now with that in mind, I'm wanting to buy another wheelset for my newly built Kaffenback, so that I can switch between road and Cross tyres. Are Mavic hubs slightly different to others? Would I be best sticking with another pair of Aksiums so that I can switch wheels without needing to faff with the mech?

Never had this problem with my MTB hubs

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Hello fella :biggrin:
Shouldn't really be any real difference across wheels, but there will be a bit. A mm will be enough to throw it out.
I would buy whatever wheels i wanted and shuffle the spacers across the axle if it was a little bit out. Should be able to get it lined up right like this :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can switch between Askiums, Ventos and a handbuilt with a Veloce hub without adjusting the stops. I definately would not bother faffing about with hub spacers if it needed a tweak though, the stop adjustment takes only a few seconds with a screwdriver.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
All wheels should be roughly the same spacing, but a mm would throw it out enough for it to index badly. so i would adjust the spacing on the axle, to see if i could get the cassette in the same place by moving the nuts on the axle.

Monst

Mavic hubs are slightly wider and thus require an extra spacer. As such ...you will need to adjust your rear Mech.

Top Bottom