Rear light comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
GrasB said:
Another red eye user here, great light to have & you don't have to drive it off an exposure light either, you can drive it off a pair of 1.5v batteries with a bit of work (though iirc it's brighter driven from my joystick)

The guys that make them say you can use the piggyback battery, too. Think I might have said nthat already though.. ;)

How did you get it to run off 1.5v batteries?

GrasB

Veteran
Water proof box, battery case, the correct connector & some wire. It's not elegant but it works & I can use 2 C batteries to power the light.

Yeah I know about their battery pack however I wanted something which could power the rear light in an all-else fails "I'll buy batteries from the shop" type scenario.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
GrasB said:
Water proof box, battery case, the correct connector & some wire. It's not elegant but it works & I can use 2 C batteries to power the light.

Yeah I know about their battery pack however I wanted something which could power the rear light in an all-else fails "I'll buy batteries from the shop" type scenario.

That sounds pretty cool.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
HJ said:
That is the DiNotte 400L Road Rider's Experience and not they are not cheap, but they are worth it! That is brightest rear cycle light currently available anywhere... ;)

You can get brighter front lights... ;)

I've seen them in action many times. I think they are a danger to other cyclists. It's frankly not surprising someone would follow at 30m+ they are quite literally too bright.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It depend on how the angle is set, mine are pointed down at the road. I have never yet had a complaint (or abuse) from a driver while I have been riding with them. In fact thinking about it I have had several drivers say how much they liked them as I was impossible to miss...

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'll make one final plug for this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20333

It's ridiculously cheap, very bright (3W red LED) and can bathe 30m of the road behind me in red. I have two of these mini-monsters and have been stopped on my commute about a dozen times by cyclists (and by quite a few motorcyclists too) asking what the hell it is.

I have them mounted to my seatstays using an adjustable Fenix mount.

Downsides: run time is approx 3hours, only one mode, a bit of fade, 18650 batteries.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hey, if it works for you that's great... :rolleyes:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Origamist said:

It's ridiculously cheap, very bright (3W red LED) and can bathe 30m of the road behind me in red. I have two of these mini-monsters and have been stopped on my commute about a dozen times by cyclists (and by quite a few motorcyclists too) asking what the hell it is.

Downsides: run time is approx 3hours, only one mode, a bit of fade, 18650 batteries.

LOL could just use quality street wrappers ona normal torch. :laugh:

manalog

Über Member
Origamist said:

Bought 2 of these torches and strapped them to my drop bars facing rearward. I get loads of comments on how bright and visible I was for miles! Because they are pointing slighly downward they don't dazzle either. Thanks Origamist for recommennding these lights.

Top Bottom