Rear light comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a quick video comparison of the Smart 1/2 Watt Superflasher and the Blackburn Mars 4.0.

The Smart can be bought for about £10 and the Blackburn for about £18. I think the Blackburn is well worth the extra few quid.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I guess if i was looking for red light to light up a corridor in a hospital, the mars would be my choice too...

The Smart is a more noticeable light when seen from within a car imo, and is visible from further away. So, two Smarts, one on the seatpost, one on the seatstay which would cost the same as the Mars, would be my recommendation.
but i'll keep your demonstration in mind, when i'm next trying to find my way round the local hospital ;)

thomas

the tank engine
Steve Austin said:
I guess if i was looking for red light to light up a corridor in a hospital, the mars would be my choice too...

:biggrin::biggrin:

I keep meaning to get one of those smarts. They seem to be a good choice if you've already got a reasonable rear light. Can't hurt to have a back up/second light (or third if I got it ;)).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

;)

I find using a corridor is good to demonstrate the side throw of the light (you can see it on the walls).

I've not looked at the lights from a distance myself, but I'd be surprised if the smart was visible from further away than the Mars.

Anyway, my suggestion for a set up would be a smart on constant and the Mars on as a flasher (that is what I now have). £28 in total. Not bad.

I know HJ will be along in a minute to suggest his set up! :biggrin:

Joe

Über Member
Have they improved the design of the Smart's atall?
I had one when they first came out ,and was impressed with the brightness, but it couldn't handle the wet. It switched itself on in the rain which was preferable to off but now (despite being thoroughly dried out) the switch doesn't work and it's permentantly on if there is battery.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I bought some new (Smart Superflash) ones recently and they look the same as previous ones. But on the few occasions mine have got rain in (when absolutely torrential rain), they have always dried out and worked as normal afterwards.

CorsairC

Über Member
I have a smart as the flasher and another different light as a steady. More lights, as far apart as possible, as high as possible, on rucksack etc.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I run a smart 1/2 watt flasher + a standard smart flasher on the seat post+ a cheap 5 led flasher on each pannier bag hook seems to do the trick ,apart from the occasional idiot who will not give you room anyway i get plenty of good behavior from motorists with that set up.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think when demonstrating lights we need to have a standard and set of tests.;)

- daylight tests of rear and side vis for bad weather
- night tests: rear and side viz on street lit road and in darkness
- flashing modes on video
- show the range of mounting options
- perhaps a watering can test

You can make most lights waterproof with a bit of careful silicon kitchen sealant application.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Here is a follow up for my two front lights: Busch and Muller Ixon IQ and the Hope Vision 1 LED.

Very different beam patterns from the two lights, and similar light outputs (Max).

I'll be running with both! ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
magnatom said:
Here is a follow up for my two front lights: Busch and Muller Ixon IQ and the Hope Vision 1 LED.

Very different beam patterns from the two lights, and similar light outputs (Max).

I'll be running with both! ;)

Both great lights imo. The Hope would be good angled down slightly further in for potholes and immediately infront of the bike imo. The B&M is more like a car headlight and I like the beam pattern it produces.

Top Bottom