Rear light comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have both lights. The joy of the mars 4 is it is about the only light I'm aware of that'll fit on the race bike. I think in overall value for money the smart 1/2 is the better light at this window in time because of the gigantic price reductions it has undergone.

CorsairC

Über Member
I've noticed even with a modest upgrade of lights, that drivers do a double tae more often, especially at dusk.

CorsairC

Über Member
How do you mount them on your rack? I find the bars on my rack too thin, and also theres a rear plate on the end, that means no normal light will fit.

potsy

Rambler
summerdays said:
So can the Smart Superflash - that's where it is on my bike.
Am too interested in rack mounting one of my rear lights,how have you done yours SD?
I have a Smart. Not sure the model though,they were being sold for £3 on crc a few weeks ago so bought 2(big spender:biggrin:)

CorsairC

Über Member
On my rack I had to add some padding in order to get a tight fit with a light on the rack. The Cateyes lights I gave up on, they always slipped no matter what I did.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
Here is a quick video comparison of the Smart 1/2 Watt Superflasher and the Blackburn Mars 4.0.

The Smart can be bought for about £10 and the Blackburn for about £18. I think the Blackburn is well worth the extra few quid.

But they ain't no substitute for proper lights if you really want to be seen... :smile:

4056773322_102491f8d4.jpg

magnatom said:
I know HJ will be along in a minute to suggest his set up! B)

Well I wouldn't want to disappoint you Mags... :biggrin:

CorsairC

Über Member
What lights are they and how much?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HJ said:
But they ain't no substitute for proper lights if you really want to be seen... :sad:

4056773322_102491f8d4.jpg

+1

Neither of Magnatom's lights come close to even an Exposure Redeye or a BLT Fantom XR9. The dinottes above (I assume) are more powerful still.

The smart and blackburn have hardly any effect on following drivers, whilst the Exposure I have has a huge effect. When previously drivers would follow 5m behind when I'm in primary through a pinch point, it's now 30+m with the redeye. :sad:

I also have a 12v MR 16 (21 LED) on the front which is probably different to what everybody else has.(As well as a Blackburn Quadrant.

GrasB

Veteran
BentMikey said:
The smart and blackburn have hardly any effect on following drivers, whilst the Exposure I have has a huge effect. When previously drivers would follow 5m behind when I'm in primary through a pinch point, it's now 30+m with the redeye. ;)
Another red eye user here, great light to have & you don't have to drive it off an exposure light either, you can drive it off a pair of 1.5v batteries with a bit of work (though iirc it's brighter driven from my joystick).

In all honesty I'm not convinced more lumen is needed compared to my redeye & as a point source I think the redeye's lux is actually to high. Something 3x the size with the smiler or a maybe 30% more lumen imo would be a better light.

Top Bottom