Rear light for rack mounting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bugbear

My little cateye rear light just stopped working (1 LED gone, switch non functional).

Since my bike has a rear rack, it was (obviously?) fixed to the rear of the rack.

Looking for a new light, the market seems dominated by lighting which fix to the seat pillar.

I use a hub-dynamo driven front light (where I want lots of light) and a AAA powered rear light (since I hate running wires the full length of my bike).

The bike is a1980s built fixed gear short distance commuter (very conservative, cantilever brakes, mudguards, rack, pump).

So - can anyone recommend a sub £20, AAA powered light suitable for attachment to a rack (or some kind of rack adapter for pillar mounting lights) ?

BugBear

Tim Hall

Mine does all that, although is AA rather than AAA powered. Runs approximately for ever between battery changes. Scrabbling in my memory suggests it's made by B & M. The interwebs confirm this. B & M D Toplight is the model.

OP
OP
B

bugbear

Apols - when I said AAA what I meant was "proper batteries not disc cells" e.g. 2032. I wasn't aware that anybody
still made AA powered lights, hence my request for AAA.

BugBear

I used to run a battery rear but when I changed to a rack-mounted light I also fitted a dynamo powered one. The Smart is hard to tell from Busch and Meuller from behind but is much cheaper. The cable run needs a bit of thought but I routed mine from output of the front light the along the rear brake cable, across to the top of the rear mudguard then up to the rear mounting bracket, with cable reinforced with ductape at vulnerable spots. Over 5 years of carefree lighting without missing a beat.

As far as reducing front illumination goes, I can't tell the difference.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So - can anyone recommend a sub £20, AAA powered light suitable for attachment to a rack (or some kind of rack adapter for pillar mounting lights) ?
The gold standard will probably be some sort of B+M Topline. A cheaper alternative will be the Axa or Hermans rackmount lights that illuminate a line. If you want it now, The Range currently have some minor-brand German rackmount battery tail lights (thanks to their usual bizarre stock buying, I guess), but I've not tried them so can't actually recommend them.

Tim Hall

But that seems to be a dynamo powered model...

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lightin...ear-dynamo-light-with-standlight-for-carrier/

(B&M do MANY things called TOPLIGHT)

BugBear
You're quite right. Here's the battery version;
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lightin...ent-battery-led-light-50-80-mm-vario-fitting/

Top Bottom