Rear light set-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Waiting for my Knog blinder to break one of these days. Rubber looks close to giving out, My Moon Shield is pretty good, no complaints at all. Really like the idea of these lights, has great reviews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOkRD1vpU38

Wow. That's... complex.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a single LED one that came in a kit from Lidl that lights up solidly mounted high on my seatpost, and a 5 LED one on slow flash (from a kit from Decathlon - Oxford brand perhaps) mounted at the bottom of the seatpost.

I'm running a Lezyne Zecto drive as my main rear light. Wasn't happy with it at first as it didn't like my spare micro usb cable, my cateye volt 300 front does :-/ However now I've got over that and been using it regularly over winter I've been impressed as to hoe well its noticed most drivers give me more room, including the ones I encountered in tonight's white out conditions. I think I could do with the same intensity but lasting longer than 3h but it's ideal for the commute.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I just got a RSP Tourlite for my rack as it has a built in reflector
LAA915;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

There is a note on the bottom of the back of the box that says "This product must be used in conjuction with BS approved light. LED cycle lights should only be used for extra visibility and should not be used in flashing mode when attached to your cycle as it is a contravention of the Road Vehicle and Lighting regulations" I shall drop Raleigh a note to point out that this is rather outdated.

shadow master

I just got a RSP Tourlite for my rack as it has a built in reflector
LAA915;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

There is a note on the bottom of the back of the box that says "This product must be used in conjuction with BS approved light. LED cycle lights should only be used for extra visibility and should not be used in flashing mode when attached to your cycle as it is a contravention of the Road Vehicle and Lighting regulations" I shall drop Raleigh a note to point out that this is rather outdated.
Bit of old stock!!the flashing bits ok now,but the fact remains the light won't have bs mark,so yes it is technically illegal,but who cares!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm pretty sure if a light has both steady and flashing modes, the steady mode has to be approved (BS or EU equivalent) else it doesn't count on its own even as a flasher :sad: The law should be updated but until then, I import my lights...

andrew_rc46

dinotte 400r or Design shine 500

In the following video is a dinette 400r, you will know it when you will see it, but look at the rest of the lights, look at how dim they are in comparison to the rest of the lights on the road (cars and motorbikes)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqixHBDJw98

Where in gods name can i buy one? i can't find any on the old web.

Almost any half-decent rear LED lamp is plenty. There are some tiny, weak ones about, but Adi, Lidl, Halfrads etc sell std models cheaply.
Mounting is an issue. If you have a rear rack with a bracket, this is the optimum location, pointing back, low, cannot be obscured by coat tails or rack-top loads.
You should always run a solid rear lamp at night. Additional can be in blink mode. 2 blinkies makes it hard to judge distance. 2 blinkies out of phase is disorientating. Low frequency flashing leaves too much dark time.
I use a SMART rear dynamo LED/reflector under my rack. Fit, forget, ride.

Top Bottom