Rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Out of interest, can the RSP rear light be mounted to a seat stay?

No seat stay mount I'm afraid. It has a small footprint if fitted horizontally as the lamp slides in from the side, so can be snug upto other lights or the saddle.

fossyant

I've got a fibreflare, and at least one other person on CC - but I can't remember who (possibly fossyant?)

I had two, but one went faulty - water ingress into the switch - make sure the switched end is top most so water drains out. Wiggle had no stock, so I didn't get any more. They are very flexible for fitting, and have good all round visibility.

I have just ordered two Magicshine MJ818 rear lights........uh oh...........:tongue:

Going to run them off 2 packs, or use a Y cable and swap the packs around? Unless your commute is more than 30 minutes, 5 days a week... a single pack will probably power one static one flashing all week.

Smart Lunar 1/2W can be had for just under £10 online from 2 different places.

and/or

Magicshine have the 3W MJ818 now which shares the same battery pack as the P7 Magicshine front end. Although currently only sold (from DX) with the battery pack for £38.

Fit a small rear blinky light to your helmet too, I use a pair of Electron Backupz, around a tenner for a pair, front white for blinky, rear red same too.

It's like this one... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Mini_Rear_Light/5360044137/

trio25

Über Member
So far I'm liking my fibreflare. But then only rode home in the dark twice so far. It's attached to the bike easily and a couple of extra zip ties make me happier leaving it...I am lazy when it comes to removing lights and then to zip tie them on and assume most people won't bother.

My smart 1/2 watt on the other hand keeps turning off, going to try leaving it out to dry and putting a bit of grease round the seal to see if that helps.

My Smart 7 had that problem, the seal was poor and would push in if you pressed the button wrong... thus water would get in and erode the contacts... which made it change modes/turn off.

Looking at my new Smart 1/2W Lunar it seems much better - but I haven't used it much yet - sad to think it still has the same problem if yours does it too :sad:

Ranger

3xMars 4 on the rear. One on the helmet (can't beat a flashing red helmet :tongue: ) one one the seat post and another on the rack, say you didn't see me now, another option is to use the red saxon caps that Ay-up supply and use a second light unit and battery pack (you can even helmet mount them backwards) My link

fossyant

Going to run them off 2 packs, or use a Y cable and swap the packs around? Unless your commute is more than 30 minutes, 5 days a week... a single pack will probably power one static one flashing all week.

I'll run off 1 pack in the pannier and use the y splitter to supply juice to the two MJ818's - should give me most of the week on a charge. One charger at work and one at home.

Already made a custom mount on the pannier rack - basically a 25mm (approx) diameter tube, wrapped neatly with black duck tape, and bar end 'stoppers' in each end.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You could try one of these...

Videos are useless.

As is "looking straight into it".

A basic red led standby light from your TV without the diffuser would leave red spots in your eyes.

Only has a P4 LED (~75 lumens) which is bright but not the best.

£40 isn't too bad - though you don't get batteries with it - which at least they are CR123As, which won't last as long as they would like and you need a separate charger (which wouldn't be bad if it was included).

Form factor does look interesting though.

Has the same small flaw as the Magicshine rear... the mount means it points at the angle perpendicular to your seat post...

barongreenback

Über Member
Has anyone tried fibreflares? I have got one on my bike to try this winter, look really bright so hoping they are okay with water. Not cheap though so we'll see.

I've just fitted one of these. I wouldn't use it in isolation but I'm reassured that drivers can see it from the side. As someone else said, it is a bit of a pain to fit. I hope the rubber fasteners last.

Top Bottom