Rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
I'm a little curious about why people feel the need for even brighter rear lights. I have some Smart 1/2 Watt and various less bright lights. I'll always use at least 2 at a time.

Anything as bright as the Smart 1/2 Watt is more than bright enough IMO.

How many people have heard of a SMIDSY where a cyclist with decent lights (e.g. the Smart 1/2 Watt) was rear ended? My understanding is that it's almost always motons pulling out of junctions ahead of cyclists or changing lanes ahead of cyclists that occur.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm a little curious about why people feel the need for even brighter rear lights. I have some Smart 1/2 Watt and various less bright lights. I'll always use at least 2 at a time.

Anything as bright as the Smart 1/2 Watt is more than bright enough IMO.

How many people have heard of a SMIDSY where a cyclist with decent lights (e.g. the Smart 1/2 Watt) was rear ended? My understanding is that it's almost always motons pulling out of junctions ahead of cyclists or changing lanes ahead of cyclists that occur.

There is a "shock and awe" line of thought that contends drivers will give you more space when passing if you have a retina searing rear light. What's more, there's also no longer the excuse of "I couldn't see you because of your feeble lights" (although the corollary is: "I was dazzled"). Powerful lights can also be run in the day.

You're right about accident causation and cyclists - getting him from behind is rare, but the consequences are very often serious.

I can run 320 lumens at the rear, (two diamond dragon red emitters in two torches) - I never bother having them both on though.

The perceived need for super-duper lights tells you a great deal about how people view cycling safety in the UK. I don't doubt that some people, given half the chance, would strap a searchlight to their handlebars...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Powerful lights can also be run in the day.
A big plus when it's overcast, ime.

You're right about accident causation and cyclists - getting him from behind is rare, but the consequences are very often serious.
In the space of a week, two of my friends have been shunted whilst stationary in their cars by (different) ****witted motorists who weren't paying attention. An attention grabbing rear light seems like a good thing to me.

BSRU

A Human Being
A very bright rear light helps alot when your cycling towards the sunrise/sunset/low sun, otherwise you are virtually invisible to motorists behind you.

Any good alternatives to the Smart Superflash?

Trouble is I find that (and I have had 3) in rain, water gets in and either switches them on or worse, off when I want them on!

Today's persistent fine rain did just that even on the tourer with full mudguards, although this time it just switched it from flashing to constant then wouldn't let me turn the thing off when I got to work (removed batteries, squirt of WD-40 to dispel water from switch and now works again so definitely a water ingress issue)

I just can't trust the superflash anymore to stay doing what I set it to if it gets damp

EDIT

To stop HLaB's problem with water I have a tube of silicone grease in the garage, and each time I change batteries on the lights (all of them not just the Smarts) I smear a tiny amount into all the casing joints - from the outside. That goes for the dynamo connectors and lights as well. Occasionally they get some around the electronics inside them (but care around the battery connectors - the stuff's an insulator). It's a habit from working with electronics and cabling outdoors for years. So far I've never had a problem with any of them. The present tube has lasted at least 10 years so doesn't cost much.

Ah..good idea! Might try some contralube on the contacts and switch instead..less messy. Don't know why I didn't think of that before you mentioned silicone!

philhul

This week I've taken delivery of my lights, and it looks like just in time, been decidedly dull on recent mornings.

Nuke Proof Reactor on the front. Yet to test on a ride but holding it in the house/street etc... seems very bright and I'm very happy with it.

Bought one of the Smart rear lights as well for a tenner from the link earlier in thread. My god it's bright!

As I say, yet to properly test either, but initial impressions very good.

Davidc

Guru
I think these aren't bad for £13

Going back to rear lights - I've had the usual rain ingress problems with a couple of mine (including the Smart). Are there any suggestions for back lights that have a decent water resistance?

See my post #13 for details - smear silicone grease sparingly round the joint on the Smart (or any other light). I do and all my lights have survived soakings with no problems, including both Smarts.

trio25

Über Member
Has anyone tried fibreflares? I have got one on my bike to try this winter, look really bright so hoping they are okay with water. Not cheap though so we'll see.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got a fibreflare, and at least one other person on CC - but I can't remember who (possibly fossyant?). Its a different sort of light I feel - its brightest in one plane, but I do like the all round glow. Its not really easy to fit to the bike so I don't use mine every time - most of my riding is daytime or dusk - but I would use it at night in cities where the side light it gives I find useful to motorists in side roads. Mr Summerdays uses his daily in wintertime but then his commutes are in the dark.

L.E.D.

On the Seatpost i have
One of these

On my rucksack i have
One of these

And on the back of my crash helmet i have something similar to
One of these

the one i bought was from tesco's and it fits remarkably well into the rear vent of my Giro Atmos, so much so you would swear it was made for it ! !

Top Bottom