Rear mech for 9 speed 44/32/22 - 12-36?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question really for anyone who has actually done this.
700 wheeled bike if at all relevant.
Shimano mech I should stress.
I had thought that one of my bought-new bikes had this set-up but it appears there was a misunderstanding, it doesn't have that and this may explain why at the mo I don't seem to be able to replicate it on a build of mine - unless I have some other issue.
I realise that this is at the extremes of capacity so may not be able to do it after all.
I could of course peer through all my shimano spec references but there is a certain sense behind my question, for I know that they often understate what can be achieved with certain bits.
So, anyone done it?

si_c

Guru
A Sora R3000 long cage mech should be fine, I've run a 52/36 with 11-36 rear with no problems, with the smaller front rings there definitely shouldn't be an issue with capacity.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A Sora R3000 long cage mech should be fine, I've run a 52/36 with 11-36 rear with no problems, with the smaller front rings there definitely shouldn't be an issue with capacity.
thanks for the reply but I thought it was a question of the numerical DIFFERENCE between the small and big rings at the front which you chucked into the equation, and there is a lot less in your set up. You saying that the actual size of the rings is a factor?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
size of the largest rear sprocket is a limit to most mech's. chainring size irrelevant.

you have a total tooth difference of 22+24=46.

You will need a MTB derailleur.

if shimano say 44 max capacity, then 46will be fine, they are notoriously conservative. ditto some are rated for 34 max rear sprocket, but 36 should be OK with a bit of tweaking of the B screw.

do you need 22-36 as lowest gear though? 22-34 is pretty damn low, unless you are heavy loaded touring (or pulling a caravan?)

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/alivio-m4000/RD-M4000.html

above fits the bill

some of he shimano MTR SGS long cage stuff says 45 T max capacity but 46 will work

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for reply @T4tomo , your reasoning matches mine, am using XT 771 SGS long cage at the moment but have encountered an issue, possibly because of too much tinkering. Will fiddle some more and report back.
Want to get this to work as I bought a fair few 12-36 cassettes at a very good price from Rose of Germany pre brexit and covid on the basis that I could use the cassette across three different bikes or at least two.

That rear mech you suggested is what is on my 26 inch wheel ridgeback expedition bike which is 48/38/28 on the front, 12-36 on the back - less capacity demand there of course than I am trying on the other bike. Exped's gearing is wonderful.

On your other point, yes I do sometimes carry a lot of weight up hills.
Some horrifying (to some) pics on my loading are scattered around here.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
thanks for the reply but I thought it was a question of the numerical DIFFERENCE between the small and big rings at the front which you chucked into the equation, and there is a lot less in your set up. You saying that the actual size of the rings is a factor?
No, you're right, it's the total difference between the sizes of the rings which is a factor. My point was that I managed to get a 52/36 - 11/36 setup working perfectly with 9sp Sora R3000, so because your chainrings are smaller you shouldn't have any capacity issues as your total difference between front and rear is less.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

I have SORA R3000 on the following setup:

46/36/24
11-36

Both FD and RD are slightly beyond their nominal capacity, and the nominal largest rear sprocket IIRC

It works perfectly.

It was modified from
46/36/26
11-32

Which I think is at the exact capacity limit for front and back.

Another derailleur with higher capacity as suggested upthread may be less likely to give issues, but the Sora option is likely to work OK, I think.

CXRAndy

Guru
A question really for anyone who has actually done this.
700 wheeled bike if at all relevant.
Shimano mech I should stress.
I had thought that one of my bought-new bikes had this set-up but it appears there was a misunderstanding, it doesn't have that and this may explain why at the mo I don't seem to be able to replicate it on a build of mine - unless I have some other issue.
I realise that this is at the extremes of capacity so may not be able to do it after all.
I could of course peer through all my shimano spec references but there is a certain sense behind my question, for I know that they often understate what can be achieved with certain bits.
So, anyone done it?

Yes and a bit more but with 11,speed Shimano di2

triple, crankset 50/36/26 cassette 11-40t

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The standard long cage XT 9 speed mechs are rated 44/32/22 and up to 11-34 on rear. You are not that far out on capacity. Really depends on the rear derailleur mount as to how close you will come between the jockey wheels and cassette cogs.

As above rated for 45t capacity. Take big ring minus granny ring = 22t. , then add largest cassette sprocket minus smallest = 33t. 22t + 33t = 45t. You are one above it.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you do use 44-32-22 with an 12-36, your legs will be flying round on the 22/36- I used to find it really hard to keep straight going up hills on my son's old MTB with a 22/32 [ might have been a 24/32 can't remember exactly] so it was more comfortable to get off and push it up instead.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The standard long cage XT 9 speed mechs are rated 44/32/22 and up to 11-34 on rear. You are not that far out on capacity. Really depends on the rear derailleur mount as to how close you will come between the jockey wheels and cassette cogs.

As above rated for 45t capacity. Take big ring minus granny ring = 22t. , then add largest cassette sprocket minus smallest = 33t. 22t + 33t = 45t. You are one above it.
Thanks ming- I think it might be my rear mech mount/frame that is causing my niggly issues with that mech.

Wandrin

This is more or less my touring setup, 22/32/44 front and 11-36 rear.

Sora STI's controlling Sora FD-R3030 at the front and Deore RD-M592 at the rear.

Yep, quite out of spec ( especially the front )but with reasonable maintenance it works.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another thing that may be a problem, once you've solved the conundrums of rear mech largest sprocket and rear mech capacity may be cable pull.

If you have an indexed setup and choose an MTB mech for its wide capacity there may be cable pull incompatibility. I know nothing about this, I've just read about it. It may be nothing, but worth checking.

But if you don't have indexed shifters, that problem won't arise.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
This is more or less my touring setup, 22/32/44 front and 11-36 rear.

Sora STI's controlling Sora FD-R3030 at the front and Deore RD-M592 at the rear.

Yep, quite out of spec ( especially the front )but with reasonable maintenance it works.
thanks, very encouraging, I may have a 592 sitting around - am a bit puzzled by my problem - I had the impression that it first worked when I put it together - may have got too obsessed with sprockets clearing the jockey wheels and overdone things with the B screw.
Yep, shimano stuff can often be used out of spec - I installed an XT front on a build which shouldn't work, but it does, at least with a nice trimmable flat bar shifter.
Thanks again.
Lancashire I see - will need your low gears in a fair bit of that.

Top Bottom