Rear OLN spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

I'm looking to put a set of 700c wheels on a build

My current dropout rear wheel hub OLN is 130mm

The 700c wheels OLN is 124
With qiuck release could I add washers either side to secure and align the wheel

I'm looking to put a set of 700c wheels on a build

My current dropout rear wheel hub OLN is 130mm

The 700c wheels OLN is 124
With qiuck release could I add washers either side to secure and align the wheel

No don't do that because the washers will take up the axle length that's supposed to sit inside the drop-out.

Just squeeze it in. If it is an aluminium or carbon frame the squeeze will be hard to do.

If you want to use the wheel permanently, you'll have to sort out the hub with a new axle and re-dish.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

No don't do that because the washers will take up the axle length that's supposed to sit inside the drop-out.

Just squeeze it in. If it is an aluminium or carbon frame the squeeze will be hard to do.

If you want to use the wheel permanently, you'll have to sort out the hub with a new axle and re-dish.

Sorry should of mentioned its a reynolds steel 531 frame

Ajax Bay

Guru
For the avoidance of doubt, when @Yellow Saddle says "Just squeeze it in" I think he means slot the wheel that the OP has measured as 124 OLN into the 130 OLN dropouts, and tighten up the QR lever till it's tight, tight (the OP is having to force the 531 chainstays closer by 3mm each on top of normal secure QR tightness). Reiterate this a one ride option unless the OP's risk appetite is voracious. The failure mechanism will most likely be the axle slipping in the dropouts while riding (at a moment of 'extra power'), the wheel/tyre binding against a chainstay, and some loss of rubber from the (suddenly non-rotating and therefore) skidding rear tyre. Refit in the dropouts and complete short (hopefully) ride. On examination (servicing the hub) the axle may have broken.

Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
bicycles arn't F1 cars, a millimetre here or there will make no difference.
I recently opened up the stays on a bike of mine to take a disc brake wheel using a car jack. It runs just fine.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
bicycles arn't F1 cars, a millimetre here or there will make no difference.
I recently opened up the stays on a bike of mine to take a disc brake wheel using a car jack. It runs just fine.

Car jack! Brilliant, I wish I’d thought of that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I recently opened up the stays on a bike of mine to take a disc brake wheel using a car jack.
All good. But the OP has a 124mm OLN wheel(hub) to fit into a 130mm OLN dropouts (as I read the OP). How would you use your car jack to reduce the frame dropout distance? I think @rogerzilla 's suggestion of adding a 3mm spacer/locknut each end would do the trick.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Noooo! Just respace the hub. The slightest axle protrusion is adequate to locate the wheel, since it is actually held in place by friction when the QR is fastened. Massive clamping force, serrated locknuts.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
like i said bicycles arn't F1 cars. everything i mentioned i have tried in the past and i know it and it works for me.
i posted my solution because i thought i was helping, anyone is free to do whatever they like and if they want to spend hundreds at a bike or engineering shop to get 3mm adjustment to their frame they are welcome to go right on ahead.
i am not getting into an internet argument about it, so this will be my last comment on this thread.

Top Bottom