Rear pannier and rear light for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Does anyone have any suggestions for a pannier/bag to go on the rear rack of a Brompton? There is one on the Brompton site but it is rather expensive...

Similarly, I'd like to fit a rear light onto the rack that could stay there while the Brompton is folded - do any of the Brompton riders on here have a light that allows them to do this? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In theory any old bag will strap onto the rear rack. When I first started commuting I got the same train as someone who carried a small briefcase. Apparently it was civil service issue. I've usually found that the touring (front) pannier is adequate unless I'm carrying a laptop.

Most of the Bromptons I've seen with racks have had integral lights. I'd highly recommend the hub dynamo plus light combo - it really is fit-and-forget.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pannier/bag to go on the rear rack of a Brompton? There is one on the Brompton site but it is rather expensive...

Similarly, I'd like to fit a rear light onto the rack that could stay there while the Brompton is folded - do any of the Brompton riders on here have a light that allows them to do this? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

The Brompton light should do that for you. I've bought one but not fitted it as I have one high up the seatpost instead - I'm a bit worried that the other is too low (and just haven't got round to it :smile: ) It is a bit pricey though, I guess.
I would *not* recommend the tyre dynamo, the hub ones seem alright. I had endless grief with my tyre dynamo before giving up and moving to another solution! Brompton no longer ships the tyre option though.

I have the rear rack bag and use it often. It's thin at one end to avoid your heels catching on it, which is something to watch out for if you get another bag. It could be improved, but certainly does the job. I came across this recently: http://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/07/video-backpacks-on-bromptons/ if you're after something else.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the standard Brompton light is expensive, the fixings are poorly designed, and, being rack mounted, too low to be seen. Any bogstandard Cateye or Smart will go under the seat.

It depends what you want from your bag, but a Waitrose (don't mock!) woven shopping bag fits brilliantly, and is held in place by the two standard stretchy jobs that Brompton fix to the rack - just run them up through the loops of the bag and clip on to the saddle rails.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
, too low to be seen.
I'm not entirely convinced by this - drivers sit in general much lower to the ground than we think. In any case, the more I ride in a well-lit city (the natural home of a Brompton), the more I think that lights are a bit of a hygeine factor in the presence of reflectives (over-rated, but useful on occasion) and light-coloured clothing.

It depends what you want from your bag, but a Waitrose (don't mock!) woven shopping bag fits brilliantly

!PING!

I use one of those (£2.50, cotton & hemp, strong as anything) to transport clothes inside the Brommie pannier. I'll try it on the rack. If it works that will free up room in the pannier for the laptop - or to get one of the (horribly expensive) front briefcasey things.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Thatk you for all the responses.

I already have a cateye rear light on the seatpost, but, having had the rack fitted over the summer, I thought it would be good to have a second light there - I know I could put a second light on the seatpost but I think I'd then have to leave too much post sticking up when it is folded because of the lights getting in the way... if I could just leave it on that would be really good.

I also have a front pannier (yes, they are not cheap) and a bad habit of putting too much stuff in it, so I'm trying to find ways of carrying more stuff on the back. I'll give Dellzeqq's suggestion a go - I have a Tesco bag that I think would fit the bill.

One thing you might not know if you don't have the rear rack bag is how it attaches (which could provide some ideas for other bags).

It has a little loop at the end closest to the seatpost, which hooks around the suspension post (you part fold the bike to loop it on).
Then it has a velcro loop which goes around the seatpost, and it has a clip fastener at the back to keep it from bobbing about.

Note that the back of the brompton is VERY bumpy and I wouldn't put things that can be damaged on the rear rack. It is exceptionally good at whipping cream.

Top Bottom