Rear peddle reflectors and the law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

At night a bicycle must also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85).

Ok...no problem...but what about my dual sided spd pedals your honour?

domtyler

Über Member
You don't need them if your cycling shoes have a retro-reflective patch.

barq

I think this came up in the CTC magazine a while back and User is right. Assuming your bike is lit up like a Christmas tree, and you have the afore mentioned reflectives on your shoes, I think it would be a very pedantic policeman who stopped you. I'm not aware of this being used in an argument about contributory negligence but I could imagine an insurance company trying that angle.

wafflycat

Elmer Fudd said:
Could you not attach pieces of the reflective "sticky tape" to your pedals ?

If you can, yes, but that still doesn't meet the letter of the law, as there is a British Standard for the reflectors required, and reflective tape doesn't do it. Saying that, it's those darned BS reflectors that have always been the first things to drop off or break on any standard platform pedal I've ever used. Worse than useless.

I stick on a pair of retro-reflective ankle bands & if I'm wearing Bikesters, they've got reflective stripes on the rear of the leg too (on top of all the other acres of reflectives on self & bike and the masses of lights). Technically not meeting the law, but in reality, a lot brighter and more durable than the 'legal' pedal reflector. One set of Look pedals I use does have some amber retroreflective tape on the rearward surface - the same type Plod uses on plodcars.

Then there's the issue of recumbents - pedal reflectors are only seen by pilots of low-flying aircraft...

As others have pointed out - it's highly unlikely that if you are well-lit and wearing reflectives that any plod is going to be ar$ed to do you if you haven't got pedal reflectors and are cycling at night. If you are, however, a stealth cyclist, you may be done. Plod can sometimes use a spot of common sense. Hard to believe, I know, but many of them do ;)

p.s. pedant mode on. It's 'pedal' not 'peddle' unless, of course, you are a pedlar or peddler selling your wares...

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well the pedALS (;)) are not really suitable for the rear reflectors and I can't see a bit of tape lasting long on the actual pedle...erm...Pedal....however perhpas on the crank arm?

I wonder why Shimano etc haven't thought of a way around this yet?

I also have some hi vis reflective ankle bands which I will wear at night.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

With my M520's I got a pair of reflectors that fit on one side of them.

like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-M520-...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
moz-screenshot.jpg

pw2389

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I wonder why Shimano etc haven't thought of a way around this yet?

I don't know but possibly it's only a legal requirement in this country, hence not worth their while in spending R & D money on the issue.

barq

mikeitup said:
With my M520's I got a pair of reflectors that fit on one side of them.

Yep, that's one Shimano solution which means the bike can leave the shop in legal condition. The bike manufacturer solution is to supply the bike without pedals.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

what good is a side reflector?...rear reflectors are the important ones...and I think th elaw says rear reflectors...dunno.

gavintc

Guru
My Shimano SPD SL came with a pair of reflectors that hung off the bottom of the pedal. I did not fit them, but Shimano have clearly thought about the problem.

Top Bottom