rear rack advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hehe! "Light" touring for all that distance!

Look no further than Tubus! :smile:

I too have tubus - which is excellent. I went for titanium for weight saving and bling appeal - I'm glad I did, even if cost-benefit is questionable. For "light touring" the simpler one without side rails is probably best. I think mine's the "airy" I would choose a model with twin attachment to seat stays rather than a single central strut - which i think would be more wobbly (though not tried a single strut one from a good make"

I use the American Surly 'Nice' racks, made from 10mm CroMoly steel tubing so all-in-all a very strong rack. Supplied with an almost 'mechano kit' of nuts, bolts and brackets to enable fitting to many-a frame possible. Available in the U.K. here, the price has increased somewhat from when I purchased (2008). Both front and rear are quite wide with the front one having top rack area that I find ideal for my sleeping bag to sit.
I've got 3 tubus racks - all good quality.

That Surly rack looks good but it's a bit of an omission that it doesn't appear to have a rear light fixing mount.

This isn't the strongest rack on the planet but I have used it on a bike for a few short tours with a ton of stuff on it. Almost the kitchen sink.

It has really nice dimensions (in fact I prefer it in that respect to my tubus), a dog leg, and the lower pannier mounts which can be good for a low centre of gravity and allowing you to fiddle with stuff on the top.

And it has a light mounting point.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...rtec-expedition-rear-pannier-rack/tortrack250

Yellow7

Über Member
That Surly rack looks good but it's a bit of an omission that it doesn't appear to have a rear light fixing mount.

Blue Hills, on both the front and rear racks there's a discrete threaded tube for fixing brackets to for the lights, the included array of nuts/bolts and plates should accommodate most lights. The tube also proves useful for fixing a GoPro camera or similar in place for some 'rolling footage')

IMG_0335%255B1%255D.jpg

Top Bottom