Rear Rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u_i

Über Member
Really? In my experience it is the other way round, at least for my taste. As the Brompton is back loaded from factory a mildy loaded front-bag evens this out. Plus if you carry a Brompton with weight on the rear carrier it is a bet wether the locking mechanism for the rear frame will give up or not while carrying.

It developed in an evolutionary manner, with the loads first always in the front. The rear was first used for spill-overs, but then it took off on its own, though admittedly with some overall reduction in the loads carried. The locking mechanism would likely first release while riding, as accelerations add to the gravity there, but it is a valid concern.

I guess it's just a matter of taste, and shoe size.

I didn't realise how often I flip the back wheel under the frame until I put something on the rack, and that option was ruled out.

I hardly ever flip the rear to park. I have a stable kickstand and it is far easier to activate than the flipping of the rear. When family got their kickstands, they also started using these to near exclusivity, so it does not seem to be just my personal contrariety.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It developed in an evolutionary manner, with the loads first always in the front. The rear was first used for spill-overs, but then it took off on its own, though admittedly with some overall reduction in the loads carried. The locking mechanism would likely first release while riding, as accelerations add to the gravity there, but it is a valid concern.

I hardly ever flip the rear to park. I have a stable kickstand and it is far easier to activate than the flipping of the rear. When family got their kickstands, they also started using these to near exclusivity, so it does not seem to be just my personal contrariety.
I think it all comes down to each person's habits of use. When I carry mine, it's pretty much always folded. Otherwise I wheel it. I get to somewhere, click off the front bag (if I'm using) or just keep my rucksack on, fold the bike and it's folded for carrying up and down stairs, putting on a train, and so on, or wheeling with the little EZ wheels. That's why I put a premium on being able to get the bike "naked" and foldable really quickly. Given my habits this rules out the rear rack. But obviously that's not the only way to do things.

Top Bottom