Rear Rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhb123

Regular
Hi Guys.

Seen a Brompton rear rack on Amazon for around £60+ much cheaper than from Brompton. Has anyone fitted a generic rear rack, and haver any suggestions. I'm all for saving if possible. Things all. Richard.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Good, that you give us neither information what alternative rack you are talking about nor why you want a rack in the first place. Based on the only information provided (you want to save as much money as possible) the advice is easy: don't buy one.

If you - for whatever reason - really want a rack: The Brompton rack has proven it's abilities and been incrementally developed further for 35 years and roughly 500.000 samples are on the road, a lot of them for decades. Whatever alternative rack you are talking about will lack here massively. Which means: Higher risk of total loss of your money due to misconstruction, low quality, uselessness or not living up to expectations.

Depending from your usage scenario an alternative rack may be a good option or not - but for that it would be necessary to know what you aim for as well as which rack we are talking about. There are probably at least a dozen racks on the market for the Brompton, some good, some bad some in between. And all with their individual properties, strenghts and weaknesses.

Your statement ist rather: "I saw a BMW for 40 Grand but want to safe on money. Now I saw another car for just 5 Grand. Is it good?"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you haven't ridden a Brompton with a rack, have a careful think about what you want to carry. I don't find mine (a Brompton rack, bought with the bike) to be of much use at all because I get heel-strike if I put anything of any size on there. It's only good for a little bag with a waterproof and a sandwich. And then I find it gets in the way as I can't flip the rear wheel underneath.

So if I need to carry stuff on the Brompton, I take a rucksack. (Edit, or the front bag. I don't know why I forgot to say that. Also note that I have bigger than average feet, so I'm more prone to heel-strike).

Last edited:

brommieinkorea

I don't have any first hand experience with the aftermarket stuff. But... I find the Brompton rack very useful for toting stuff back from the store, after the front bag is full. You do have to be careful how it's loaded to avoid heel strike. Very rare for me to carry more than 8 pounds (gallon of milk) so maybe a rack not as heavily built would be o.k. The Brompton rack is an expensive beast but I've found them super useful and worth it.

shingwell

...so maybe a rack not as heavily built would be o.k. The Brompton rack is an expensive beast but I've found them super useful and worth it.
Remembering it has to carry the weight of the bike when folded and wheeled around, of course!

I find it useful in winter... start off wearing a thick coat but then have to put it somewhere when you've warmed up. I also have a rear B bag whch works well for the occasional fully-loaded journey, but a bit of a pain for regular use as you have to remove it before folding.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Regarding luggage my strategy is, depending from the needed storage amount, in that order:
1. front bag (15-32l)
2. front bag (15-32l) + saddle bag (10-25l) -> up to 57l
3. front bag (15-32l) + (huge) rucksack on the carrier (30-70l) -> up to 100l
4. front bag (15-32l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 150l
5. front bag (15-32l) + saddle bag (10-25l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 170l
6. front bag (15-32l) + huge rucksack on the carrier (30-70l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 220l

In most cases option 1 or 2 is fully sufficient, option 6 is barely ever needed.

Still, this does not in any way help with the thread or the question that @rhb123 has as he wants to know if an unknown but cheap 3rd party rear carrier is as good as the original from Brompton but did neither line out what carrier he is talking about nor what problem he wants so solve at all (apart from saving money). :tired:

OP
OP
R

rhb123

Regular
If you haven't ridden a Brompton with a rack, have a careful think about what you want to carry. I don't find mine (a Brompton rack, bought with the bike) to be of much use at all because I get heel-strike if I put anything of any size on there. It's only good for a little bag with a waterproof and a sandwich. And then I find it gets in the way as I can't flip the rear wheel underneath.

So if I need to carry stuff on the Brompton, I take a rucksack. (Edit, or the front bag. I don't know why I forgot to say that. Also note that I have bigger than average feet, so I'm more prone to heel-strike).

Thanks Dogtrousers, guess I could forgo one in truth, as most of my trips will be day only. Heel strike is not something I thought about either, thanks good point.

OP
OP
R

rhb123

Regular
Remembering it has to carry the weight of the bike when folded and wheeled around, of course!

I find it useful in winter... start off wearing a thick coat but then have to put it somewhere when you've warmed up. I also have a rear B bag whch works well for the occasional fully-loaded journey, but a bit of a pain for regular use as you have to remove it before folding.

The point about the coat is a good one. I'm thinking now re-last few posts, if a rucksack on my back for the cloths is an option. My stuff is all light weight, so would not be a great problem really.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks Dogtrousers, guess I could forgo one in truth, as most of my trips will be day only. Heel strike is not something I thought about either, thanks good point.

If you don't have a front bag, then consider getting one of those first. IMO that's the best way to carry stuff on a Brompton. THe Brompton ones are a bit pricey though. I don't know if there are others available.

Gwylan

Veteran
Regarding luggage my strategy is, depending from the needed storage amount, in that order:
1. front bag (15-32l)
2. front bag (15-32l) + saddle bag (10-25l) -> up to 57l
3. front bag (15-32l) + (huge) rucksack on the carrier (30-70l) -> up to 100l
4. front bag (15-32l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 150l
5. front bag (15-32l) + saddle bag (10-25l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 170l
6. front bag (15-32l) + huge rucksack on the carrier (30-70l) + trailer (~120l) -> up to 220l

In most cases option 1 or 2 is fully sufficient, option 6 is barely ever needed.

Still, this does not in any way help with the thread or the question that @rhb123 has as he wants to know if an unknown but cheap 3rd party rear carrier is as good as the original from Brompton but did neither line out what carrier he is talking about nor what problem he wants so solve at all (apart from saving money). :tired:

Congratulations.

u_i

Über Member
Rear rack is first to be filled here, with various rack loading options, mostly ~20l rack bag. One reason is that a rear loaded Bromton is easy to lift and carry without removing the rear load. A front loaded Brompton is a dog as far as the lifting is concerned.

ExBrit

Über Member

If it helps you decide, I have a standard Brompton rack with a Vincita bag (link below) and size US 11 feet in SPD shoes. I don't have a problem with heel strike. I see some youtube videos about the small, cheap, light, after market racks that suggest they are basically intended to add a 4th wheel for rolling (link even more below).

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZM9YSG

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnHFOA9G-4

berlinonaut

Veteran
Rear rack is first to be filled here, with various rack loading options, mostly ~20l rack bag. One reason is that a rear loaded Bromton is easy to lift and carry without removing the rear load. A front loaded Brompton is a dog as far as the lifting is concerned.
Really? In my experience it is the other way round, at least for my taste. As the Brompton is back loaded from factory a mildy loaded front-bag evens this out. Plus if you carry a Brompton with weight on the rear carrier it is a bet wether the locking mechanism for the rear frame will give up or not while carrying.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I guess it's just a matter of taste, and shoe size.

I didn't realise how often I flip the back wheel under the frame until I put something on the rack, and that option was ruled out.

Top Bottom