Rear Shifter Cable Replacement for Boardman SLR 8.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fletch

I am currently facing some challenges while attempting to replace the rear derailleur cable on my Boardman SLR 8.9 road bike. Having looked for guidance online, I initially believed the process would be straightforward. However, as is often the case, it has proven to be more challenging than anticipated.

To provide some context, I managed to remove the old cable without any issues. However, I am encountering difficulties when attempting to insert the replacement cable. Despite my best efforts, the cable simply refuses to come through at the other end.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer to help me overcome this obstacle. Your expertise and guidance in this matter would be immensely valuable to me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I look forward to your prompt response and any information you can provide.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Adam4868

Guru
How far is the cable going ? Can you tell roughly where it's sticking,had a bit of a nightmare myself recently threading a internal cable.Ended up taking the crank off to get better access 🙄
I'm not sure if you're bike has the internal sheath/cable guides which makes life a lot easier.make sure you don't kink you're cable and I usually find a bit of patience and swearing helps.
Failing that bike shop ! Get someone to do it for you.

DRM

Guru
Did you pull the whole cable out of the frame (inner & outer) in one go?
The best method is remove the inner cable, then replace it, then pull the outer cable out, using the new inner as a guide to get it in place, you may now have to remove the cranks and bottom bracket in order to get the run the cables through the frame, might be an LBS job in all honesty

Person

Turn your bike upside down. Unscrew the black part that the cables run through under the bottom bracket and pull out slightly. Loosen the front derailleur cable if needed. You'll see a large hole at the bb that leads towards the headset. Turn your bike the right way up. Feed your new cable through the shifter and into the frame. The cable will come out under the bb by itself. Put the black sheath back onto your new cable. To get the cable from the bb to the rear derailleur take your old cable and push it through the frame from the rd side pushing towards the bb. It'll come out by itself. Attach the two cables together. You can do this with sellotape or better still gorilla tape. Pull the old cable back out towards the rear derailleur and your new cable will be in place. Put everything back together.

Person

20230523_090335.jpg
Under the bb of Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon.

Top Bottom