Rear shifting issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my rear gears aren't shifting very well.

10 speed ultegra.

I've replaced the chain.

Cassette and chainrings look okay.

I can either get it to work ok shifting up at the bottom of the cassette or okay shifting down at the top. But not both.

Any ideas! It's my winter bike and gets some hammer!!

I'm thinking to change the cables next. Should I do inner cable alone or is it best to do inner & outer at the same time?

S-Express

Changing the cable inner should do the trick. Maybe change the rear outer section (the section that runs from the frame to the rear mech) at the same time.

gbb

Legendary Member
while a screenman's advice may be correct. I always work on the principle NOT to adjust stops mechs etc if I have no reasonable suspicion something has changed. it shouldn't 'un adjust' itself for no reason.
.Personally I'd make sure the wheel was mounted correctly first, then look at the cables.
Simplest things first is a good way to start.

screenman

Legendary Member
while a screenman's advice may be correct. I always work on the principle NOT to adjust stops mechs etc if I have no reasonable suspicion something has changed. it shouldn't 'un adjust' itself for no reason.
.Personally I'd make sure the wheel was mounted correctly first, then look at the cables.
Simplest things first is a good way to start.

I have found in the past rear mechs go out of alignment on thier own, even without a knock. That little hanger is extremely easy to bend with the mech as leverage.

S-Express

I have found in the past rear mechs go out of alignment on thier own, even without a knock. That little hanger is extremely easy to bend with the mech as leverage.

Each to their own. I've never found that, at all.

At this time of year you can get crud building up around the inner / outer cable interfaces. That can cause a jam and release issue, which sounds like the issue here. Try cleaning and lubing the cables / interfaces, if that doesn't sort it, replace the inner and outer cables.

Ultegra chains are directional ( the plates are different sizes either side of the rivets) it's to aid the speed of up shifts ( lower to higher gear ) apparently. It may be worth checking you've got the chain on the right way round. There's an arrow pointing in the direction of travel, stamped on the chain links. If you can't see it, the chain is on back to front, if it's pointing the wrong way ( the arrow should be pointing towards the chain rings ) it's on upside down.

screenman

Legendary Member
Each to their own. I've never found that, at all.

I can tell you that not once in the hell of a lot of bikes I have checked have I found a rear mech that is nicely lined up without needing a slight tweak. But if yours is bang on correct, then of course you maybe one out there I have not seen.

I hope you would agree that without the rear mech being aligned you will not get the optimum from your drive unit.

I can tell you that not once in the hell of a lot of bikes I have checked have I found a rear mech that is nicely lined up without needing a slight tweak. But if yours is bang on correct, then of course you maybe one out there I have not seen.

I hope you would agree that without the rear mech being aligned you will not get the optimum from your drive unit.
Absolutely, although the rear mech hanger would have to be quite bent to actually cause this degree of trouble.

Top Bottom