Shimano gears; stumped re problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here's the background - the bike is a Specialized Secteur (2012) with Shimano Tiagra shifters, and a 9 speed cassette.
It was running fine on the original rear mech (Tiagra medium cage) coupled with an 11/26 cassette (or something close to that - it's been binned).

I decided I wanted a lower gear for the hills around here, so decided to get an 11/30 cassette, a new chain (Shimano dura ace 9 speed), and a long cage rear derailleur (Shimano Deore, same as my Tricross which works fine with 9 speed 12/32 cassette and same Tiagra shifters). Fitted the new parts, then.....

I am now finding that the chain will run smoothly on either the high gears, or the low gears, but not both! i.e. if you adjust the cable tension so that the gears shift smoothly from say 9th cog (smallest) to 8th, then it is too tight for it to drop from 1st cog (biggest) into second. Slacken it so that it drops from 1st into 2nd, and it is too slack to move from 9th into 8th, etc....

I have ruled out sticking cable (replaced both inner and outers and greased the inner when I did so). Chain length is correct. Tried different settings of the tensioner B screw and it makes no difference.
Any ideas?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You've connected the cable to the wrong side of the clamp on the derailleur. Swap it over and you'll be ok.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You've connected the cable to the wrong side of the clamp on the derailleur. Swap it over and you'll be ok.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it appears there is only one way to attach the cable, and it's the same as on my Tricross...... (apologies for picture quality, don't have a steady enough hand for close-ups!).

IMG_2017_zpsprcjnutf.jpg

Was everything at 'zero' so to speak when you replaced the cable i.e. lowest gear, shifter in the right position, adjusters wound in?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Was everything at 'zero' so to speak when you replaced the cable i.e. lowest gear, shifter in the right position, adjusters wound in?
Yes. Apart from the adjusters wound in bit. I always leave a wee bit allowance for slackening a touch if I get the cable too tight by hand as happens!

screenman

Legendary Member
If you undid the mech from the hanger and it was tight then this can cuase the hanger to bend slightly as you undo the bolt. Not saying this is the case here, just another suggestion.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Move the cable to the other side of the bolt and try again. They don't always go where they look like they should and wrong side will cause the problem you are having.
Afraid that's not going to work; there's a groove to show where the cable should go, and the clamp has bits on it to stop ham-fisted DIY'ers like myself from doing it any other way.
I think @goo_mason and @screenman have cracked it. Makes sense that a longer cage derailleur will be more affected by the alignment being out a touch. With a little delicate re-aligning of the hanger, things are a lot better. Still not spot on; but I can be a touch anal about mechanical stuff being "just so". I will do some more trial and error efforts at alignment - or buy a new hanger and take it from there. Thanks for all suggestions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom