Shimano gears; stumped re problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Afraid that's not going to work; there's a groove to show where the cable should go, and the clamp has bits on it to stop ham-fisted DIY'ers like myself from doing it any other way.
I think @goo_mason and @screenman have cracked it. With a little delicate re-aligning of the hanger, things are a lot better. Still not spot on; but I can be a touch anal about mechanical stuff being "just so". I will do some more trial and error efforts at alignment - or buy a new hanger and take it from there. Thanks for all suggestions.

Do not buy a new hanger, buy a hanger alignment tool. I would say it is one of the most useful tools in my box, never once yet checked a hanger on any bike that does not need tweeking slightly.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do not buy a new hanger, buy a hanger alignment tool. I would say it is one of the most useful tools in my box, never once yet checked a hanger on any bike that does not need tweeking slightly.
Hmmm; Park Tools one for about £50; might be a wise investment. Cheaper ones available but reviews are patchy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks like you've crushed the cable as well, causing it to unravel. Is the clamp bolted on the right way? It could have got turned round when the bolt was loose.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You said you greased the inner cable... What did you use - Treacle?

(knowing the Muppet you are) :biggrin:
We don't all have a competent brother to turn to whenever the need arises :okay:.
Talking of which, VFR about to get some use after DIY maintenance, hopefully more successful than a supposedly simple pedal bike. ^_^
Have you given up on the motorised version? :sad:

beeblemaster

Über Member
Whatever! ;-) Nope, haven't given up on the motor, but does get pitiful mileage, sadly nowadays.

Seriously though, could the grease be restricting the flow of the cable, since the symptoms you have suggest friction in the cabling?

Tim Hall

Update: Invested in one of these, a derailleur alignment tool. £32 from ChainReaction, which could turn out to be a good investment. It arrived this morning and has been put to the test. Gears now changing sweetly. Thanks to those who suggested looking at the problem as a bent hanger, and to @screenman for suggesting the right tool for the job :okay:.
What looks like the selfsame tool (apart form the name on the badge) is £25 at wiggle. Looking at the reviews, both seem to suffer from a bit of play, easily dealt with by strategic application of PTFE tape. @Brandane, was yours at all wobbly? Mine is on its way from Wiggle as I type, and should arrive next week

D

Deleted member 23692

You won't need PTFE tape - there's a wee grub screw which you can snug up to take the slack out of the main pivot bolt. I've got the wiggle version and it does the job perfectly

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
was yours at all wobbly?
Very slightly; just a few mm, but you obviously just take that into account when measuring the gap between the marker and the rim. I had read that on the reviews too. Maybe it will need PTFE tape once it becomes a bit worn, but for now it is fine.

Glad I read this..was about to spend more, trade (same price as wiggle but plus small-order delivery!), on the same product, differently branded!

Top Bottom