rear sprockets wobble??? URGENT help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
okay im not sure this is the correct section maybe we need a bike maintenance and repair section or a mechanics section?

basically i was hoping to ride 50 miles today and 70 tomorrow (the thread is urgent as if i get a deccent answer in time i may still be able to make tomorrows ride) well i was setting the bike up last night and had the bike upside down lubing the chain turning the crank by hand and when i stopped turning it but the wheel was still spinning i noticed the sprockets wobbled and i dont know if this is serious and if it will affect riding or if riding will only make it worse so i need to know what should i do and what is the cause here is a 30sec video showing the problem watch the sprockets

(click on pic to watch vid)

th_115_1113_zps027846de.jpg

Cheers Ed

Its not serious. Dont worry about it at all. Just get on and ride.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
cheers for the help sorry for not realising the correct section and how would i fix it properly a whole new hub what does a semi deccent one cost roughly?
well i managed my longest ride yet only 43 miles roughly but im only 14 so hopefully will have many more years to improve on that especially if on the next one the aim isnt to cycle to a steam fair and spend hours on end looking round there! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

snorri

Legendary Member
Well done young Ed:smile:.
I wouldn't worry about the cost of a new hub, you will grow out of that bike soon. Keep up the effort on the cycling front and maybe someone will get you a bigger new bike for a birthday or christmas present;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If the wobble isn't actually causing any problems I'd leave it. My knockabout bike does the same thing and has done for a couple of thousand miles now (on 2 different wheels and freewheels).

If it really bothers you and if your bike has the correct dropout spacing, it is possible to upgrade to a wheel fitted with a freehub and cassette (explanation of the difference here) from about £45 to £50, but depending on what bike you have it might not necessarily make financial sense.

Edit: Just remembered the bike, it was a Falcon Trailfinder wasn't it?

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
doesnt really concern me because of what you lot have said so i will just leave it and hopefully cycle eiter kent (where i live) to paris or london to paris this summer!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom