Rear tyre puntures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Forbes Murray

I have a standard adult mountain bike, with 26 in 1.95 wheel and tyre. I am getting punctures at the base of the schrader valve ( 3 x times 3 x tubes) on the rear tyre the tyre tread is good the walls are poor. The tyre and tube seem to be moving round and pulling the tube putting stress on the valve as it is being held by the rim, after cycling apprx 2 miles it is tearing the tube at the base of the valve. What could be the problem ? Cheers Forbes

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Forbes and:welcome: to the site.

My first thought from your description is that I wonder whether there is a sharp burr round the valve hole on the inside. It's certainly the first thing I'd check for and is easily rectified on aluminium rims.

Sharky

Guru
I've never known a tyre/tube to rotate on a rim. If this is happening after just two miles, then something really basic must be wrong. Either the tyre itself or the way it was fitted.

A few photos might prompt suggestions.

Hope you find the fault.

OP
OP
F

Forbes Murray

Hi Forbes and:welcome: to the site.

My first thought from your description is that I wonder whether there is a sharp burr round the valve hole on the inside. It's certainly the first thing I'd check for and is easily rectified on aluminium rims.
Ok I will try that. Cheers Forbes

the snail

Guru
Talcum powder on the tube may help, plus using a tube with a nut on the valve to hold it in place.

OP
OP
F

Forbes Murray

I've never known a tyre/tube to rotate on a rim. If this is happening after just two miles, then something really basic must be wrong. Either the tyre itself or the way it was fitted.

A few photos might prompt suggestions.

Hope you find the fault.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have ran out of tubes, so I will probably replace the tyre at the same time. If it happen again I will take pics of the angle of the valve stem coming through the rim after a cycle Wheel in bits just now. Cheers Forbes

Top Bottom