Rear view mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpemburn

Back when I was young and flexible, my rear view mirror was "ducking the head under the arm". These days, I use a Blackburn helmet-mounted mirror, and I swear by it. From the reviews, it seems that a lot of people swear at it, though. To be fair it did take some fiddling and getting used to. Do you use a mirror? If so, what kind?

simongt

Guru
Cateye bar end on the drops :okay: with a Bikeye on my commuter as backup. The latter has it's uses, but is a bit awkward to use. :whistle:

Sharky

Guru
Did for a short time, but not anymore.
There has been lots of views and discussions on mirrors on cyclechat - use the search option for "mirrors"

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On my recumbent I have a prophete mirror which replaces a Zefal Epsilon I broke just over a week ago. The mirror isn’t as wide angle as I’d like and feels like it’d be better for shaving. I’ll likely replace with a B&M cycle star before this month is out. I generally go for the longer stalks which gives vision of the full width of the road behind.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't need one but a couple of buddies who have neck mobility issues find them very useful.

The only drawback is one of my buddies is forever calling "We've dropped Paul" until Paul mentions he's behind her on the left. 😂

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use these on all my bikes. They are cheap and work well. I find them especially useful at night.

I tried a Halfords bar end one on my ally drops but found it a bit awkward getting it in the right place . I have also found that it gets knocked out of position easily and can come apart at the ball end . I have a wrist strap one which can give me a bit of a view as to what is behind me but I have to move my arm a bit to see past my elbow .
I may try fitting an old Stadium stalk mounted one I got with an old bike . It is handy to see what is behind you before you look round as I tend to wander a bit when doing so .
I can remember that I had a lovely metal boomerang type one fitted to my motorbike in the 70's it's a shame they can't make something like that .

Last edited:

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
I've tried several different types before settling on B&M Cycle star, used on drops. They come in a couple of diameters, either 55mm or 80mm, aren't badly affected by vibration and are easily tweaked on the move. Like a previous comment , I find it to be particularly helpful in low light , when car headlamps show up far in the distance. Of course it doesn't do away with the need to glance over your shouldering when changing road position but I really miss it when I ride a bike without one.

Top Bottom