Rear view mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
GrasB said:
Mirrors, I like the theory & tried to get them to work for me but in practice I found they didn't work. I found they were always in the wrong place so my arms/hands blocked the mirror or they got in the way of my hands on the bars causing more problems than they solved. The one which worked from a mounting POV had vibration issues which rendered it useless.

I found mirrors mounted to glasses avoid the vibration issue. What's more, you don't have problems with appendages blocking the view.

Greenbank

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
I'm not be "purist" here (I have nothing against mirrors), I just think that the communication that a cyclist provides by looking back at a car/vehicle is far more important than the benefit of glancing in a mirror to plan your move (especially given the blind spot issue that mikey mentions). I think it is far better to just "get used" to looking back really, really often (which is tricky at first).

Having ridden a motorbike for years I look back quite often (but probably still not often enough).

I'd be interested in a study to see whether frequent looks over the shoulder results in more space from passing vehicles. (A study in a similar style to the Leeds research about helmets and blonde wigs and passing space.)

My theory is that car drivers will either consciously, or even subconsciously, give a cyclist more space if they see them taking a look over their shoulder as it is processed by the driver's brain as a visual cue for the cyclist about to possibly perform a maneouvre such as moving out into the road or turning right. Because of this they leave more space.

Or maybe it's because it makes the rider more "human" as the driver sees a face, rather than just the back of a cyclist. Anyway, the cause isn't so important.

This comes purely from my own entirely anecdotal evidence. I tend to have more very close overtakes when I'm not looking back frequently enough. However, as I've said, a proper scientific study on this would make interesting reading.

This is pretty much why I haven't bothered fitting mirrors, but I have thought about doing so in the past.

Armegatron

I pulled my shoulder yesterday at work, so the commute home was a bit painful. I had to do a shoulder check before moving over and because of the pain I mustn't have looked round far enough / long enough and ended up moving out when it wasnt perhaps appropriate to. It wasnt a bad move over in my opinion, but one that I wished I had checked that little bit more to make 99% sure it was clear. Hence this thread has caught my eye as Im thinking some kind of mirror may be useful when my shoulder plays up.

Mike

Origamist

Legendary Member
Greenbank said:
Having ridden a motorbike for years I look back quite often (but probably still not often enough).

I'd be interested in a study to see whether frequent looks over the shoulder results in more space from passing vehicles. (A study in a similar style to the Leeds research about helmets and blonde wigs and passing space.)

My theory is that car drivers will either consciously, or even subconsciously, give a cyclist more space if they see them taking a look over their shoulder as it is processed by the driver's brain as a visual cue for the cyclist about to possibly perform a maneouvre such as moving out into the road or turning right. Because of this they leave more space.

Or maybe it's because it makes the rider more "human" as the driver sees a face, rather than just the back of a cyclist. Anyway, the cause isn't so important.

I think you are referring to Walker's Uni of Bath study (wigs grabbed the newspaper headlines re: passing distances)? The recent Leeds/CTC paper examined cycle lanes and overtaking distances (I must have forgotten my previous note to self, GreenBank!).
A study would be interesting - has there been motorbike research along similar lines, i.e the lifesaver?

Yep, the act of looking back is v important (you can strive for eye contact, but you won't always get it) - just remember to look ahead first, assess the conditions, and then look behind if it's safe. Generally, I either glance back quickly or use a longer look depending on the circumstances.

potsy

Rambler
I have one on the hybrid,Zefal bar-end type,admittedly it does slightly hamper grip when on bar ends,but it's really useful especially in traffic,gives you plenty of time to plan maneuvres in advance instead of constantly having to look over your shoulder.
That said when I 1st got my road bike I missed the mirror,now I'm used to it but maybe that's cos I'm getting more confident generally anyway.

J4CKO

Sheepy1209 said:
I use one, because as a motorcyclist I found it difficult to adjust to riding without one.

The main benefit for me is I can plan manoeuvres well in advance, e.g. looking for a safe point to adopt primary.

It's NOT a substitute for looking over your shoulder, but I tend to adopt the 'lifesaver' which is a sideways glance taught to motorcyclists before any change of position. In less clear-cut situations I'll still resort to looking rearwards and getting eye contact with a driver.

Sometimes it helps to make it obvious I'm looking - e.g. passing parked cars, so I might look behind me even though I don't need to from the point of view of observation.

I've yet to find a decent bar mirror though - I currently use a cateye which is fine when it's in the right position but impossible to tighten enough to withstand anything but a smooth surface.

What he said !

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I prefer a helmet or glasses mounted mirror. I've been using them for years. My biggest problem with looking behind is very stiff and sore shoulders and neck. I still give a kind of sideways look, though, before actually making a maneuver. I'm so used to the helmet mirror, that sometimes I even glance over....while WALKING! lol

Whrrr

I've got a bar-end mirror and wouldn't be without it. I mainly use it well ahead of any manouver and then shortly before, I look behind both to check blind spots and to indicate to other road users that I'm aware of them. The mirror lets you be more aware of what's going on around you all the time.

It mists up in no time in damp foggy weather though...

Top Bottom