Rear wheel bearing help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Earlier this morning my cassette was looking rather gungy so I decided I would squirt come muc-off onto a cloth and do they old trick of sliding it between the sprockets. I must say that this did an excellent job, but I have since put the wheel back into the back and spun it and the bearings sound absolutely horrible now, so it looks as if the muc-off has got into the hub. I don't think the freehub is affected because the noise is only made wheel the wheel is turning on its own accord, and when the wheels is being propelled by the cassette the noise goes away. I have tried to dribble lube into the hub via the opening between the cassette lookring and the hub cone nut things, but it is still making a right racket, as if the ball bearings are not surounded by grease anymore. When the lube soaks in further will the noise stop, or do I need to take the cassette and freehub off and put some lube/grease directly in there?

Hope this makes sense.
Steve

tyred

Legendary Member
Have a read through this and you should find all you need to know.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

it's not difficult but it can be time consuming when you do it for the first time.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Cheers tyred!

Did what the link said and regreased all the ball bearings and put it all back together again. Unfortunately we didn't have cone spanners of a cassette lockring so we had to bodge it with two screwdrivers but it seems to have works well enough! Just got to wait for the toolkit to arrive and we will rest the bearings. Thanks very much.

Steve

Top Bottom