Rear wheel for smart trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Edit to add: I'd definitely get a spare wheel for the TT and put
I might do the same, have got spare wheel. Anyone know if I can take 10 speed cassette off MTB and use on 11 speed Ultegra ... both Shimano?
Will save some cash ^_^
Nope, spacing between sprockets is different between 10sp and 11sp you will get terrible shifting. It would work if you picked one gear and never changed, but that's it.

Gunk

Guru
Having just fitted a spare wheel to my turbo, my advice would be try and buy a wheel and cassette as close as possible to your existing one, you don't want to have to adjust the indexing when you swap wheels over. They should both just interchange without any bother. If not, you might as well just swap tyres over, as there is no benefit to having a second rear wheel.

Edit to add: I'd definitely get a spare wheel for the TT and put

Nope, spacing between sprockets is different between 10sp and 11sp you will get terrible shifting. It would work if you picked one gear and never changed, but that's it.
Okey dokey, thought not... 105 12-25 on at 35 quid, that should do the job :okay:

For the price of the extra wheel you could afford a lot of tyres. That's if you get excessive wear on the turbo. Not all turbos are harsh on tyres.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Completely agree @cougie uk - a dedicated wheel is a waste of money and adds possible problems when swapping between the road/turbo wheel (unless the cassette is swapped).

I don’t see any benefit in a turbo wheel, just downsides.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For the price of the extra wheel you could afford a lot of tyres. That's if you get excessive wear on the turbo. Not all turbos are harsh on tyres.

You can get cheap wheels for around £40. They don’t need to be anything special.

Gunk

Guru
Mine is all set up now (spare cassette arrived finally this morning)

cassettes are identical on both wheels, I’ve just done a trial swap over and it just needs a tiny tickle on the barrel adjuster, takes less than a minute to swap wheels over.

Top Bottom