Rear wheel moving over in dropout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But what's the point of removing them?

Visualise me dramatically smacking my forehead and falling back on my chair as I read this.

They are designed to protect idiots. Fair enough, but they make a non-idiot's life difficult and irritating. A quick release is called a quick release because it releases the wheel quickly and conveniently. It was invented by Tulio Campagnolo in the 1950s to replace spanners and wing nuts. It is a tool-less system for making a repetitive task easy and convenient.

Lawyers lips remove every single advantage a quick release had and instead, you may as well go back to spanners and nuts.

With a proper quick release, you set up the tension in your QR once, and then forever after just flick a lever.

With a LL-equipped fork, you have to reset the tension with every single wheel release. It is irritating. There's better things to do with that time. In the time it takes me to adjust a LL QR, it could have stroked my dog, performed a mini meditation, caught up with the sprinting peloton or just....nothing.
Who are these lawyers who steal my time? Why are the protecting people I don't care for when those people should be riding with nutted axles?

I can go on but I think you get the message.

They are the work of Satan himself.

Visualise me dramatically smacking my forehead and falling back on my chair as I read this.

They are designed to protect idiots. Fair enough, but they make a non-idiot's life difficult and irritating. A quick release is called a quick release because it releases the wheel quickly and conveniently. It was invented by Tulio Campagnolo in the 1950s to replace spanners and wing nuts. It is a tool-less system for making a repetitive task easy and convenient.

Lawyers lips remove every single advantage a quick release had and instead, you may as well go back to spanners and nuts.

With a proper quick release, you set up the tension in your QR once, and then forever after just flick a lever.

With a LL-equipped fork, you have to reset the tension with every single wheel release. It is irritating. There's better things to do with that time. In the time it takes me to adjust a LL QR, it could have stroked my dog, performed a mini meditation, caught up with the sprinting peloton or just....nothing.
Who are these lawyers who steal my time? Why are the protecting people I don't care for when those people should be riding with nutted axles?

I can go on but I think you get the message.

They are the work of Satan himself.
Smack your forehead all you like - they cause me no great problems.

And I am definitely not filing anything of my bike.

Am no idiot.

>>instead, you may as well go back to spanners and nuts

er, a massive overstatement for more reasons than I can think of. I have had a bike which used nuts and needed spanners.

If this is what satan is devoting himself these days we live in a pretty nice world.

Smack your forehead all you like - they cause me no great problems.

And I am definitely not filing anything of my bike.

Am no idiot.

>>instead, you may as well go back to spanners and nuts

er, a massive overstatement for more reasons than I can think of. I have had a bike which used nuts and needed spanners.

If this is what satan is devoting himself these days we live in a pretty nice world.

Chill. I do have a sense of humour, you know. I just don't do smileys because they ruin my image.

That's what you think. I have it on good authority that he's also behind the design of the press-fit BB and BB30.

Tulio Campagnolo.jpg

Here's Tulio himself saying: "Whatta idiot putta them lawyer lip things on my quicka release?"

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you have a fork custom-made by a UK builder, it won't have LLs. They're an American-market monstrosity.

Returning to the OP’s actual problem with something that might be relevant . . .

I found to my surprise that my back wheel had been moving about, somewhat mashing the dropouts and causing poor shifting.

Having read about the unsatisfactoriness of open cam qr skewers I replaced the open ones supplied with the bike with some old school Shimano closed cam skewers. While doing so I also noticed that the rear axle stuck out a couple of MM beyond the faces of the drop-outs. The old skewers did not have enough of a recess on the inside face to cope with this, and consequently were tight against the ends of the axle tube, but not against the drop out faces.

The replacement old-school skewers, I noted, had a deep recess, and were able to seat properly without touching the axle ends, - making for a properly tight hold, even before taking into account their superior gripping power.

If you have a wheel not originally supplied with your frame, or even one carelessly specced by the manufacturer, you may have this problem. Thickness of drop outs can vary I guess.

Another good reason for changing to the old Shimano/Campagnolo pattern.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@stoofer35 If you PM me your address I have found a spare Shimano QR in black which will fit 130-135mm rear. FOC (that's if you want it - should solve the problem).

I don't have a matching pair in black - I gave a set away a few months ago. I do have a drawer full of those 'external cam' QR's which came straight off any new wheels.

I remain amazed by the fury these things are exciting.

almost inclined to think it's something Freudian to do with lips.

Not just fury, also anxiety.
I forgot to mention my mock hyperventilation when reading about the dreaded fork labia. After slapping my face I had to fan my face a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If your axle is a teensy bit long (e.g. you've reused a 126mm freewheel hub as a fixed hub), it's easy enough to file it down so it doesn't protrude beyond the dropouts and interfere with the QR.

Top Bottom