Rear wheel removal with Nexus hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a good news story....

Although a happy road biker, I have been very impressed by my wife's electric bike. She complains that I ride it more than her (true, even though it is too small for me). I have just bought an immaculate crossbar version of the same bike for myself, a Raleigh Motus Tour, on Gumtree which has done less than 1000 miles, and cost less than 40% of the new price. My OCD nature thought it odd that the Schrader valve stem on the rear wheel was half the length of the one on the front, so I decided to fix it. In any case I was removing the wheel to fit a smaller rear sprocket just as I did for my wife's bike. As an aside the model is very under-geared and the top gear's gear inches were almost the same as 5th gear on the derailleur version. The seller happened to tell me that the LBS had just fitted new tyres, nice new Contis, as he didn't like the factory Mitas ones.

The valve stem problem was caused by it not going cleanly though the rim tape, and easily fixed. The surprise good news was a Gaadi inner tube, also badly fitted by the LBS who had made the ends overlap by 10cm. All easily fixed.

So, no dramas or problem if I get a rear puncture!

It's a lovely ride too....

I have a belt drive bike with the alfine rear hub and found the Gaadi inner tubes following a lot of Googling. They do save a lot of hassle in event of a puncture.

Stul

Veteran
I have a Raliegh Motus Tour with 8 speed nexus hub and belt drive and love it! I did get a puncture in the rear tyre and had to google how to remove the wheel only to find it had a Gaadi tube...doh. The front also has a Gaadi tube but I plan to replace it with a standard tube and keep the Gaadi as a spare as I can't seem to find any for sale at the mo?

OP
OP
Espresso vecchio
Nexus 7. The dropouts are vertical, or perhaps a very small handful of degrees off vertical. There is a simple (=good) factory-fitted tensioner to compensate for eventual chain stretch and avoid the need for the wheel adjustment sometimes required. I see that the 2022 models of the Motus have gone back to slanting dropouts as they had before 2020

When I dropped the sprocket size from 22 to 18 the chain length worked ok, but in the end I felt it would be better with a bit more chain wrap so took a link out.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Espresso vecchio
I have a Raliegh Motus Tour with 8 speed nexus hub and belt drive and love it! I did get a puncture in the rear tyre and had to google how to remove the wheel only to find it had a Gaadi tube...doh. The front also has a Gaadi tube but I plan to replace it with a standard tube and keep the Gaadi as a spare as I can't seem to find any for sale at the mo?

Thanks, I was thinking of taking my wife's rear wheel off to see if it has a Gaadi tube like my own, but don't think I'll bother now. Your post rather suggests that Raleigh fit Gaadi as standard to the front AND rear....well done them. I can't help thinking that the Motus being made in Hungary has helped here, applying decent European standards. Good idea of yours to put a standard tube on the front and keep the Gaadi as spare.

I would always remove and inspect inside a new wheel. Smoothe off any sharp edge on the valve hole, check for protruding spoke heads and check seating of tape.

Thanks for heads up on Gaadi tubes. I thought that this style had been discontinued years ago.

This is a good news story....

Although a happy road biker, I have been very impressed by my wife's electric bike. She complains that I ride it more than her (true, even though it is too small for me). I have just bought an immaculate crossbar version of the same bike for myself, a Raleigh Motus Tour, on Gumtree which has done less than 1000 miles, and cost less than 40% of the new price. My OCD nature thought it odd that the Schrader valve stem on the rear wheel was half the length of the one on the front, so I decided to fix it. In any case I was removing the wheel to fit a smaller rear sprocket just as I did for my wife's bike. As an aside the model is very under-geared and the top gear's gear inches were almost the same as 5th gear on the derailleur version. The seller happened to tell me that the LBS had just fitted new tyres, nice new Contis, as he didn't like the factory Mitas ones.

The valve stem problem was caused by it not going cleanly though the rim tape, and easily fixed. The surprise good news was a Gaadi inner tube, also badly fitted by the LBS who had made the ends overlap by 10cm. All easily fixed.

So, no dramas or problem if I get a rear puncture!

It's a lovely ride too....

I have a Motus crossbar - just the cheapest version
I can see the point about the Mitas tyres - I kept them until they started having lots of punctures due to lack of tread
When I changed them going round the small roundabout at the end of the road becoame far less exciting - which was when I realised that the Mitas tyres didn;t have great road grip!!!!

I'm up to nearly 8000 miles so far - only real problems have been a couple of bolts that shered - LBS replaced - one on the luggage rack and one holding the saddle on
LBS replaced them with stainless steel and that has sorted it
I will need a saddle soon - I think I have worn this one out - but you can't get the same make and model it is manufacturer only so I will have to get something different!

Top Bottom