rear wheel, scraping noise every rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Schwalbe's "TechInfo-2015" contains a table on page 37.
Tire width / Body weight: ca. 60 kg ca. 85 kg ca. 110 kg
25 mm 6.0 Bar 7.0 Bar 8.0 Bar
28 mm 5.5 Bar 6.5 Bar 7.5 Bar
32 mm 4.5 Bar 5.5 Bar 6.5 Bar
37 mm 4.0 Bar 5.0 Bar 6.0 Bar
40 mm 3.5 Bar 4.5 Bar 6.0 Bar
47 mm 3.0 Bar 4.0 Bar 5.0 Bar
50 mm 2.5 Bar 4.0 Bar 5.0 Bar
55 mm 2.0 Bar 3.0 Bar 4.0 Bar
60 mm 2.0 Bar 3.0 Bar 4.0 Bar

My tyres are 62 mm, I'm 83 kg, my default luggage weights 12 kg, so no wonder I experienced a minimum of 3 bar to not dwell 'round. And that is thus without "real" luggage, that comes on top of it, sometimes tens of kgs.
The bicycle is also sold as a travel bike, designed for lotsa luggage weight, racks are advertised as 40 - 15 kg carrying capacity.
Looking back at aboves table, see how a +25 kg body weight increase means a +1 bar. So if I would have 25 kg luggage (a quite common case), then the 4 bar comes into the picture, being the specified max pressure of the Schwalbe Super-Moto-X tyre.
So that advertisement sits quite away from reality.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
I got the wheel with the replaced rim back. The rim is now a brand named "Exal", and as it appeared, my older bikes rims has that brand mounted too. The dealer specified the difference as punched instead of drilled spoke holes, which should give cracks developing around spoke holes less chance and less of a problem to have a 62 mm tyre inflated to 3 bar.
Future will tell. Both cranks broke around the pedal holes, bike stalled, new (as turnt out secondhand - wasn't told) cranks mounted but no chainring - need to order it myself (wasn't told either - 47t 1/8" not available at dealers suppliers).
And I was told to buy just one to see if no frame clearance problem. Apparently not that sure solution.
I was also told that cranks angles were steeper so my feet closer to eachother. That wouldn't be a problem because ppl would be able to put more force with legs closer to eachother.
While I'm reading subjects here that talk about pedal extenders to avoid knee problems.
Or summarized, yet another not that good experience...
The reason I went to fixed gear, to choose and do things myself. A bottom bracket / crankset sadly isn't among my skills.
A positive note (I hope) is that the bottom bracket / crankset mount should now be Octalink. From outside I can't see, on my previous bike I see the side of the axle, and the cranks have two 90° to axle bolts that hold them on their place, this second hand should-be-Octalink cranks don't. I'd need to remove the caps that hide the axle ends but the dealer advised to not do that. Not sure what to think about this.

So the bike is still unusable, it's just a neverending story of troubles. If it turns out that a 47t with eccenter in start position hits the frame I'm gonna show a second 47 teeth set.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Who told you the story about the crank angles meaning more power? That's nonsense. Then, as I understand, you are needing extended pedals? As long as your heels don't strike the chainstays you'll be fine.

I've read all your long rambling posts on this thread and there is a very clear conclusion: you are overloading the bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Who told you the story about the crank angles meaning more power? That's nonsense. Then, as I understand, you are needing extended pedals? As long as your heels don't strike the chainstays you'll be fine.

I've read all your long rambling posts on this thread and there is a very clear conclusion: you are overloading the bike.
The bicycle shop/dealer that replaced the crankset.
A way to find out if something is true / false is to move it to extremes.
Imagine a case A, cyclist with his legs/feet wide open alike sitting on a horse.
Imagine a case B, cyclist with legs/feet straight under him.
Does one of the cases allow the cyclist to put more, or less power?
I don't need extended pedals, at least I don't think so, it's now 4-5 months at 60 km/day if it would be a problem for me I suppose I'd already felt it by now (knees).

The bike is advertised as pack donkey, advertisement specifying weights of 40 kg luggage for the rear rack 15 for the fronts lowrunner.

The dealer DID bring the chainring 5 mm closer to the frame, despite having said it would be about the same, meaning an 48T ring isn't possible anymore. He didn't say it, I started to suspect it after a 1/4" motorcycle chain trial, when I saw the chainring teeth running at one edge of the chain and the rear cogs teeth at the other. I measured and saw it confirmed.
I could solve it by removing the 5 mm spacers at the rear, no problem but the 48/16 configuration is now no option anymore.

Period, rambler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
btw yesterday I had 20 kilo apples (for me) and 10 kilo oranges (for some1 else) in and on (a backpack tied above it) the basket on my rear rack. That's what I do o..... THUNDER!

Top Bottom