Rear wheel skidding - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I just cannot get the rear wheel to skid. Whatever speed I'm doing, however hard I back-pedal, I can just feel the rear tyre 'dig in' and grip the road, and the wheel keeps turning. Is it just because I don't have enough strength in my legs, or is there some technique I need? Like, do you lean forward to reduce the downward pressure on the rear wheel, or something like that? Any tips much appreciated.

[quote name='swee'pea99']I just cannot get the rear wheel to skid. Whatever speed I'm doing, however hard I back-pedal, I can just feel the rear tyre 'dig in' and grip the road, and the wheel keeps turning. Is it just because I don't have enough strength in my legs, or is there some technique I need? Like, do you lean forward to reduce the downward pressure on the rear wheel, or something like that? Any tips much appreciated.[/quote]

I've seen guys hop the back wheel and land skidding.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']I just cannot get the rear wheel to skid. Whatever speed I'm doing, however hard I back-pedal, I can just feel the rear tyre 'dig in' and grip the road, and the wheel keeps turning. Is it just because I don't have enough strength in my legs, or is there some technique I need? Like, do you lean forward to reduce the downward pressure on the rear wheel, or something like that? Any tips much appreciated.[/quote]

Shift your weight forward when you wanna brake, that will allow you to lift the back wheel thus making it easier to lockup the rear.

D4VOW

Push down with the back leg and pull up with the front as hard as you can. Shift your weight forward and off the saddle. After a while you'll be locking the rear wheel easily.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
marzjennings said:
I've seen guys hop the back wheel and land skidding.

Thats easy to do. Whats harder is bunny hopping on fixed. But ive done it a few times!
Right, first off you be riding on, then lean right forward and how i do it, is to pull up with your peading leg, and lock the other leg. Its pretty easy to do when your used to it.
Its harder with to straps, and with bigger gears.
With 65" gear i could skid the thing whenever, and sitting down. With 72" i can still do it sitting down, but i had to get used to it.
You have to have confidence to do it, you cant do it half heartedly! Dont go for it and put half the effort in because you dont want to stop pedling because its fixed.
And then when you get the skid you can start messing about with pushing the wheel out from side to side, being able to bounce the back wheel and skid.
Bunny hopping on fixed is pretty hard. Give it ago, try and get your head around it.

Greenbank

Über Member
The trick is not trying to do it by trying to slow the pedals down but by standing up, leaning forward slightly and just locking your back leg. Try it on a wet surface first as it really doesn't require much effort.

Note that it's not the same as full on leg-braking. You'll never be able to brake as well as a rim brake with your legs. Skidding doesn't slow you down as quick as effective braking, which is why it's easy to get into a skid by locking the leg.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ain't doing it, I'll crash my new bike, and don't fancy putting flat spots in some nice tyres...ta.....

Tricks I don't do, I can just about balance on these two wheeled contraptions.......:ohmy::blush::bravo::blush:

Joe24

fossyant said:
I ain't doing it, I'll crash my new bike, and don't fancy putting flat spots in some nice tyres...ta.....

Tricks I don't do, I can just about balance on these two wheeled contraptions.......:ohmy::blush::bravo::blush:

Boring.
On my good fixed, ill track stand and practice backwards circles and skid.
On the crap fixed ill skid, bunny hop, track stand, backwards circle, wheelie and do other stuff i probably shouldnt.

D4VOW

Flat spots aren't too much of a problem if you use an appropriate chainring/sprocket combination that gives plenty of skid patches. I have 34 skid patches with mine.

Joe24

I found GatorSkins bad to skid on. They flat spot way too easily.
I was on my giant, and locked the back wheel under braking(wont tell the story of why i needed to brake so hard) and i got a slight flat spot on it. Wasnt happy.
On my cheapo tyres they skid no problem, with no flat spots.

Top Bottom