Rear wheel "ticking" noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm getting an annoying tick from the rear wheel, which sounds like a spoke being pinged. I had this on another bike, and solved it by putting a drop of oil on the spoke cross overs, but I've tried that to no avail.

It only happens under load, not on the stand, and is exactly once per wheel revolution. Getting out of the saddle to shift weight to the front wheel stops it. The wheel is perfectly true, and none of the spokes seem to have a radically low tension.

Any suggestions on cause and how to stop?

AndyRM

XOXO
Earplugs?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm getting an annoying tick from the rear wheel, which sounds like a spoke being pinged. I had this on another bike, and solved it by putting a drop of oil on the spoke cross overs, but I've tried that to no avail.

It only happens under load, not on the stand, and is exactly once per wheel revolution. Getting out of the saddle to shift weight to the front wheel stops it. The wheel is perfectly true, and none of the spokes seem to have a radically low tension.

Any suggestions on cause and how to stop?
My singlespeed bike has been plagued by a clicking/ticking noise like that for months. I have tried everything*** I could think of except for one thing but so far, no joy. My list might give you some inspiration though!

The one thing left that I can think of is the bearings in the freehub. I have new ones on order so I should have replaced them in the next few days. If the noise is STILL there, then I have run out of ideas! I'll let you know if that was the problem.

*** I checked...
  • Spokes
  • Chain
  • Stem bolts
  • Saddle
  • Seatpost clamp
  • Quick releases
  • Wheel bearings
  • Bottom bracket
  • Pedals
  • Headset adjustment
  • Shoe cleats
  • Derailleur hanger (no rear mech on the bike, but a chain tensioner connects where one would normally be)
  • Pawls in freehub
  • Chainring wear
  • Chainring bolts
  • Sprocket wear
  • Lockring tightness
  • My knees... :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
Do you have another bike or rear wheel, so you could swap the wheel to the other bike and see if the tick goes with the wheel or stays with the bike, to prove absolutely that it is the wheel at fault.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

OK, so, update.

20 miles of constant ticking, but by carefully rocking back and fore, managed to replicate stationary.

Then got my son to put his fingers on spokes at the bottom one at a time until found one which stopped the noise. Inserted a carefully fabricated low friction shim (aka bit of yoghurt pot) between the spokes, but no joy. Repeated on the spoke pairs either side - BINGO! Silence restored.

No idea why it has started, or what a proper fix would be. Any ideas? Photo of the precision engineering solution:

ColinJ

I'm glad that you found the source of the problem. When I checked my spokes I found that the lacing is such that they don't actually touch where they cross!

As for the dirty cassette... I was looking at mine today and thinking that it needs cleaning. It is twice as filthy.:blush:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a front wheel that creaks on climbs, except in heavy rain. The only way to stop it is to oil every rim eyelet. This stops it for about six months. DRC ST19, if you're interested.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I'm glad that you found the source of the problem

I always find that the key to solving noises is being able to replicate them stationary. This one just sounded like spokes. Best of luck with yours, sounds like you've done a compete rebuild already!

ColinJ

To try and find the source of my s/s bike's annoying ticking noise:

I checked...
  • Spokes
  • Chain
  • Stem bolts
  • Saddle
  • Seatpost clamp
  • Quick releases
  • Wheel bearings
  • Bottom bracket
  • Pedals
  • Headset adjustment
  • Shoe cleats
  • Derailleur hanger (no rear mech on the bike, but a chain tensioner connects where one would normally be)
  • Pawls in freehub
  • Chainring wear
  • Chainring bolts
  • Sprocket wear
  • Lockring tightness
  • My knees... :laugh:
The freehub bearings didn't fix my ticking problem either...

And then tonight I had a sudden insight and felt like punching myself in the face...! Months ago, I thought it was the RH pedal because the noise always happened when I was putting maximum pressure on it. I wrote earlier that I had checked the pedals, but I just realised that I only checked the RH one. Then it dawned on me that the noise isn't like something slipping under load, more like something having the pressure taking off it and coming unstuck - IT MUST BE THE BEARINGS IN THE DAMN LH PEDAL!!!!

I gave the RH pedal a spin - silky smooth bearings. Pretty good for a 20 year old pedal that has had no maintenance whatsoever. Then I span the LH pedal - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH - like gargling with gravel, or spinning like a 20 year old pedal that has had no maintenance whatsoever...!!! :whistle:

I quickly swapped a different pair of pedals onto the bike and went off up a hill that has been making the bike tick like crazy... hmm... silence, at last! :banghead:

Domus

Guru
On a Friday Night to the Coast ride a couple of years ago I had sudden cramp in my right calf, we were stopped for a comfort stop at the time. I fell into the road failing to unclip. After that for the next couple of hours I had this really annoying click each pedal stroke. I assumed damage to pedal or rear mech. As dawn broke it was pointed out to me my mini pump attached to my bottle cage had dropped and was catching on my crank. :laugh:

Top Bottom