Rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I know this is an odd question, but do rear wheels not sit central to how the spokes are set. I've never noticed this before. I'll upload a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20170817_164825.jpg
    IMG_20170817_164825.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 50

midlife

Guru
Rear wheels are generally"dished" to take account of the space needed for the drive (casette, freewheel etc)

brucers

Guru
Noticing things like this and pondering is how I (and many others no doubt) learnt to understand bikes more and become capable of fixing/adjusting etc. Unlike cars, a bike's working system is open to your eyes plus you can fiddle about without worrying about electricity and explosive liquids!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Noticing things like this and pondering is how I (and many others no doubt) learnt to understand bikes more and become capable of fixing/adjusting etc. Unlike cars, a bike's working system is open to your eyes plus you can fiddle about without worrying about electricity and explosive liquids!!

very true

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Don't feel stupid Andy, we all live and learn. Last week I felt really stupid when I put the chainwheel on the wrong side of a bike I was building and wondered why the freewheel didn't engage :cursing:.

Was the wrong-sidedness deliberate - some kind of experiment with a left-hand drivetrain?

At least you didn't do it with a fixed gear - you would only have discovered your mistake when the sprocket unscrewed itself while riding...

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Thanks all for the encouragement. Now I can see why there is a different spoke pattern on either side. In all the time I've had the bike I've never noticed it before!!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks all for the encouragement. Now I can see why there is a different spoke pattern on either side. In all the time I've had the bike I've never noticed it before!!

It's become more noticeable in recent years due to the increased number of gears. Back in the days when I had a five-speed block on the back, I don't think I was aware of the dishing.

Tim Hall

Was the wrong-sidedness deliberate - some kind of experiment with a left-hand drivetrain?

At least you didn't do it with a fixed gear - you would only have discovered your mistake when the sprocket unscrewed itself while riding...
I believe woolypigs in The Other Place once built a mirror image drive train bike. Probably just because he could.

I've never been worried about explosive liquids, until now, thanks for that.

Rear wheels are generally"dished" to take account of the space needed for the drive (casette, freewheel etc)
One advantage of fixed/single speed /internal geared hubs is you can build a back wheel without a "dish".
This makes it slightly stronger which is only really useful if you carry a load on a back rack.
You can also get bikes with asymmetric back forks where a 9 speed cassette back wheel can also be built without a dish for more strength.

chriscross1966

Über Member

Try taking the sprocket circlip off a Sturmey hub gear if you want terror and excitement

Top Bottom