Rearview mirrors and Ergon GP3 handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
I recently became the owner of a wonderful Airnimal Joey with Ergon GP3 handlebars. It's a wonderful bike but I would like to install a bar end mirror. I used one on another bike and it was a real benefit. I am told by some that putting one those handlebars is possible, but others say no. I tried a couple of different mirrors that are attached to the bars, but there is very little room if I am to have more than one place for my hands - one of the reason for the new bike. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I recently became the owner of a wonderful Airnimal Joey with Ergon GP3 handlebars. It's a wonderful bike but I would like to install a bar end mirror. I used one on another bike and it was a real benefit. I am told by some that putting one those handlebars is possible, but others say no. I tried a couple of different mirrors that are attached to the bars, but there is very little room if I am to have more than one place for my hands - one of the reason for the new bike. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, don't know the bike nor the bars but a "cheapy", probably Chinese, one with rubber/elastic mounting mechanism might give you the flexibility you need.
The quality may not be great though, so if one works grab a few spares.

Also, you might get better responses here
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/bicycle-mechanics-repairs.37/

Sallar55

Veteran
B&M do lots of mirrors for bikes, and they are easily adjusted. Have one for the stoker's handlebars on the tandem ( a set of bull type bars).

mikeIow

Guru
Not a massively helpful reply here, but when I was planning my LEJoG 18months ago, I was looking for a mirror for my GP5 bar ends.
Nothing desperately suitable, and (bear in mind I already had a Wahoo navigation device!) I ended up investing in a Garmin rear light/radar (RTL 515).

Discussions on this crazy-priced item being a safety aid helped justify the cost 🤪
It is absolutely amazing 😎
I read a bunch of reviews, and all ended telling me they would never cycle without it….& I am now the same 👍

I see they have one with built in camera now: even more crazy price, but something I might consider in the future…..claims a similar ~6hr battery life 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Not a massively helpful reply here, but when I was planning my LEJoG 18months ago, I was looking for a mirror for my GP5 bar ends.
Nothing desperately suitable, and (bear in mind I already had a Wahoo navigation device!) I ended up investing in a Garmin rear light/radar (RTL 515).

Discussions on this crazy-priced item being a safety aid helped justify the cost 🤪
I read a bunch of reviews, and all ended telling me they would never cycle without it….& I am now the same 👍

I see they have one with built in camera now: even more crazy price, but something I might consider in the future…..claims a similar ~6hr battery life 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the information. I had thought of something like this. I'll look into it.
Cheers

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have ~These ~ bar end mirrors on my bikes. Small, but good on drop bars. I have one on my Brommie fitted with Ergo grips, too. The slight issue with the Brommie is that I have to move my hand/wrist inwards slightly to see directly behind me but it's not a great problem.

They were £8.95, I think, in 2018.Dearer now, though!

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
I have ~These ~ bar end mirrors on my bikes. Small, but good on drop bars. I have one on my Brommie fitted with Ergo grips, too. The slight issue with the Brommie is that I have to move my hand/wrist inwards slightly to see directly behind me but it's not a great problem.

They were £8.95, I think, in 2018.Dearer now, though!

Could you let me have the info again please? The link didn't work.

Thanks

mikeIow

Guru
Thanks for the information. I had thought of something like this. I'll look into it.
Cheers

I should add that I just read the DC rainmaker review on the new expensive Garmin radar+light+camera - & it sounds dreadful!

I can, however, confirm the radar+light is brilliant!
(& yes, a mirror will always be so much cheaper, unless you cover it in swarovski crystals :laugh:)

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
I have just tried the Zefal Spy Bike Mirror ands it works quite well. I have mounted it inderneath the handlebar and it provides a pretty good view of what's happening behind me. I'll try it for a while and then consider the Garmin Varia if I am not happy with it. But at less than £10, it might be the answer or at least, an afforable answer.

Thanks for all the advice on this.

Cheers

franniepan

This one is perfect for those bars. I have same set up :
Zefal Spy Bike Mirror
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-spy-bike-mirror

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member

Thanks for your suggestion and all the suggestions from others as well. I have taken the advice and bought the Garmin Varia 515 rear radar unit.

Cheers
Bob

Top Bottom