Reasonably priced bike computers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Create a route in cycle.travel or RidewithGPS or Strava or something similar. Yes.

Download to your phone then from your phone to the device? Sort of. With the latest Wahoo devices (not sure how it works with Garmin or others), it will synch automatically to the device the next time you have the app open on your phone and the device turned on. You don'tr actually have to click any buttons to synch it.

You don't need Strava on to capture the ride, it can be captured on the device, then automatically uploaded to Strava (and to other sites if you choose). In fact if you have Strava capturing it and the device on, you will probably end up with it duplicated unless you set the device to NOT upload.

With the Wahoo devices, you do need to have the app on your phone (you can't set up the device properly otherwise). And you do need to at least sometimes have the app open at the same time as the device is turned on, so that they can synch. But when you do that, transfer of data between phone app and device is automatic, as is the upload to Strava or other apps and download of routes from them.

I normally tend to keep the app open (in the background) whenever I'm riding, and I find then that when I get home, the ride will usually be uploaded to Strava and ready to view before I even have my shoes off. But I could just as well only open the app when I get home (before the device powers off), and it would upload within a few seconds.

Thanks
That means - i will have to download apps like cycle.travel on my phone first? Then the rest kicks in.
I was exploring cycle.travel - when they say download gpx ? Does not get downloaded in my phone and stay in my phone ? I the free version of strava so cant plan routes in it.
Secondly - are their cycle route planning apps that looks like google maps - showing the tube stations etc. The cycle.travel map view is not showing the tube stations and that is confusing me. I understand the routes using the tube stations as reference points.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would be the same with the basic Garmin models that only have a breadcrumb trail

What could be clearer than this...? :whistle:

@Sharky was kind enough to donate his old Edge 200 to me and I have been using it to navigate by ever since. I did 103 km with it on Saturday, no problem. I don't even need my reading glasses to use it.

The secret is to give it a good route file to start with.

Secondly - are their cycle route planning apps that looks like google maps - showing the tube stations etc. The cycle.travel map view is not showing the tube stations and that is confusing me. I understand the routes using the tube stations as reference points.

If you become a cycle.travel supporter for £2/month you get the option to switch to Ordnance Survey maps...

cycle.travel OS map.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks
That means - i will have to download apps like cycle.travel on my phone first? Then the rest kicks in.

Not sure about cycle.travel, I haven't used that one, but certainly with RidewithGPS I don't think you need it on your phone, you can run it from your PC/on the web, and download from there straight to your Wahoo/Garmin app.

I was exploring cycle.travel - when they say download gpx ? Does not get downloaded in my phone and stay in my phone ? I the free version of strava so cant plan routes in it.
With RideWithGPS you can switch the map between a few different views, and the OSM one does show tube stations (which presumably means OSMand does too).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Bhitucyclist I feel this is getting confusing for you. My first suggestion would be to carefully consider using a Wahoo. While Wahoo will fulfill a vast range of functions at its heart it is a very simple and reliable device. In my experience it is vastly superior to Garmin. It will do exactly what you require with a minimum of fuss. You don't need the bells and whistles.

1. RWGPS is a simple to use route planner which in its basic version is free. You can chose the map style you wish and at least one of these shows rail stations, tube etc.
  2. Link a Wahoo to both RWGPS and Strava
  3. Enable Bluetooth connection between phone and Wahoo
  4. Allow Wahoo to connect to your WiFi
  5. Use RWGPS to create your routes on a laptop or PC which is simpler and less fiddly than using a phone.
  6. When you open the Wahoo app all the routes you have created will show in the app. There is no need for downloading etc.
  7. Select the route you wish to use in the app. On pressing "Select" it will load on to your Wahoo
  8. Press start and the Wahoo will begin navigation and recording
  9. When you return home choose "End" on the Wahoo. Recording will stop and automatically upload to Strava.
I guarantee it is no more complicated than this and the app will lead you through it step by step. If you're unsure of how to do this it might take an hour of careful step by step for the initial set up. If you're more techy 10-15 minutes. Once set up the only thing you have to spend time on is route planning.

Garmin does not offer this simplicity in my experience.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Create a route in cycle.travel or RidewithGPS or Strava or something similar. Yes.

Download to your phone then from your phone to the device? Sort of. With the latest Wahoo devices (not sure how it works with Garmin or others), it will synch automatically to the device the next time you have the app open on your phone and the device turned on. You don'tr actually have to click any buttons to synch it.

You don't need Strava on to capture the ride, it can be captured on the device, then automatically uploaded to Strava (and to other sites if you choose). In fact if you have Strava capturing it and the device on, you will probably end up with it duplicated unless you set the device to NOT upload.

With the Wahoo devices, you do need to have the app on your phone (you can't set up the device properly otherwise). And you do need to at least sometimes have the app open at the same time as the device is turned on, so that they can synch. But when you do that, transfer of data between phone app and device is automatic, as is the upload to Strava or other apps and download of routes from them.

I normally tend to keep the app open (in the background) whenever I'm riding, and I find then that when I get home, the ride will usually be uploaded to Strava and ready to view before I even have my shoes off. But I could just as well only open the app when I get home (before the device powers off), and it would upload within a few seconds.

Could I ask about this please? Why do you like to keep the app open when riding? It won't be doing anything.

If you link your Wahoo to your WiFi it will upload from the device without using the app.

GuyBoden

Guru
Garmin Edge 800

My limited experience.

Download your chosen GPS route/course file into a folder on your computer, I use GPX files using Cycle.Travel website etc.
Plug the Garmin in the USB on your computer.
Find the folder named "Newfiles" on the Garmin device, (Clue, it's in the "Garmin" folder.)
Copy the GPX course file from your computer into "Newfiles" folder on the Garmin device.
Safely unplug the Garmin device from the USB on the computer.
Turn on the Garmin device.
Select: "Courses" from the Garmin device's "MENU".
Select the GPX course name listed.
Select the spanner icon
Turn Guidance: "ON"
Virtual Partner: "OFF"
Select back arrow icon
Select "Go"

If the Garmin Edge 800 is more 5 years old, then you will be lucky if you can ride for 1-3 hours without the battery running out.

I use a large battery bank in my top bar bag to keep the Garmin battery from running out.

Thanks to @T.M.H.N.E.T More Garmin Edge 800 setup options are here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garmin-edge-800-user-guide-with-fancy-pics.126369/

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Wow that was 9 years ago

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’ve been following this thread with interest. My wife upgraded from a Garmin Edge Touring a few years ago. I’ve just checked and it’s sitting in a box in the cupboard. The on/ off button is a bit worn but works fine. It’s got the “ quick start “ guide in the box and I’m sure to have a garmin mount somewhere. If the OP is interested I’d be happy to send it so they can have a play and see if it’s something they are comfortable using. Just cover the cost of posting, and send it back when they’ve done playing with it.

Alex321

Veteran
Could I ask about this please? Why do you like to keep the app open when riding? It won't be doing anything.

If you link your Wahoo to your WiFi it will upload from the device without using the app.

Habit more than anything. I used to use the Wahoo app for tracking my rides before I got the wahoo device.

I know I don't need to keep it open - I even said so in that post. I must admit, I thought I needed the app to upload to Strava etc. I thought the device only uploaded to the Wahoo cloud.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If the Garmin Edge 800 is more 5 years old, then you will be lucky if you can ride for 1-3 hours without the battery running out.

I use a large battery bank in my top bar bag to keep the Garmin battery from running out.

Thanks to @T.M.H.N.E.T More Garmin Edge 800 setup options are here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garmin-edge-800-user-guide-with-fancy-pics.126369/

I think I used that guide too. mine 800 is still going strong and battery life still last all day - well it outlasts my legs anyway!!

Looking at Strava I was recording rides on it from summer 2014!

Thanks all for so generously responding to my questions. After reading all your comments - i have understood the following.
I have to creat a route in sites like cycle.travel first.
Then download it in my phone ?
From the phone then send it to the bike computer ?
Then follow that route - looking at the bike comp screen while riding ?
Does that mean i still have to use strava on my phone to capture my ride ? Or that can be downloaded on the bike comp and captured there ?
Can i get like a idiots guide - step by step please .
Or should i search you tube with something like how to use a bike computer ?

Like @PaulSB think this can be very confusing. When I looked into this a few years ago I was very, very confused. However, it was important to me so I dove in and tried to learn as much as I could.

The steps you have outlined are pretty close to reality.
However, things can vary between operating systems (Apple/Android), Apps (free or subscription) and also whether a PC/Laptop is involved.

The best thing is to jump in and have a go. Most planners offer a variety of map formats so you can use a format you're familiar with.

Normally I am an advocate for a dedicated bike computer for all the reasons @PaulSB says above but since this is all new to you I'd suggest holding off on buying a unit until everything is clearer.

I think @vickster 's experience is interesting. The two things she disliked about her Elemnt (using an app and mapping) are the very things I liked best. There's no right or wrong, just personal preference. A bit of time, a bit of experimenting and you'll know your preferences too.

There's a wonderful offer from @Tenkaykev to try out a unit. What a great community we have here! That's a great chance for you to learn at minimal cost.

If you find yourself sitting down pulling your hair out trying to get a route planner to work try to remember that any of them will put together better, safer and more interesting routes than Google. They'll give you more enjoyable routes and more confidence. Or at least, they did for me. More enjoyment means more time on the bike. More enjoyment and more time and you'll never know where your bike will take you!

Good luck!

Top Bottom