Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
**Input welcome from other 800 users. This is a work in progress, if certain areas are missing(there are some self explanatory options left out also) I will happily add them in. ps:blush: hate formatting **

I had to limit images due to the set forum limits.

Training Pages

Menu - Spanner - Bike Settings - Training Pages - Timer Pages - User Defined

BklfrqP.png
vC0s7MV.png

Note on the third screen I have Elevation/Virtual Partner and Lap Summary turned off. These options turned on will add more fields for your main screen to scroll through. I found them annoying so off they go.

This will give you a list of 5 pages that you can turn on to view either while riding or after. They can all be customized equally with up to 10 fields of data, so I'll only go through a few of them. You may find that you don't want certain features displayed, or want Speed displayed at the bottom of the screen instead of the top or middle.

Tap Page1 - Select your number fields and press the green tick - The next page will display 5 fields, if you wish to change one, press and hold the field until it turns blue.

cGLUnVn.png
56WKbW9.png
J4eBdeu.png

You will get this screen which you can scroll down to view other options. Clicking on General lets you add non cycling specific fields like time-sunrise-sunset-temperature and so on.

w9m3R3A.png
5B0sFXj.png

I have 3 screens turned on.This is how they look after setting up to my taste. Embarrassingly low mileage post winter full of niggles. But summer is here soon! :blush:

ATTbehf.png
3uYrlNe.png
fC0iIEV.png

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Bike Profiles.

Menu - Spanner - Bike Settings - Bike Profiles (These bikes are purely an example)
eabZcN5.png
OWF5YZw.png
hyHurix.png
BklJv2V.png

Yours will be named Bike1 but you can edit this to whatever you desire by clicking on the bike profile and going to Bike Details.
85rkCE0.png

Sensor Screens.(All ANT+ Sensors have a unique ID number that your Garmin will remember. This means in a sportive/club ride/race there is no chance your 800 will pair with someone elses devices unless you tell it to.)

ImiA0QS.png
bTRW4xm.png

Auxillary Options Menu - Spanner - Bike Settings

YVgD9FX.png

Auto-Lap: Will mark your log as a lap (saves you pressing button) at a set position or distance. Example: You wish a 50mi ride to be divided into 5x10mi segments to compare across rides. A pseudo personal strava if you will.

Auto-Pause: This little gem if turned on with automatically pause your ride if you come to a stop or speed drops lower than your set parameter. Mine is set to 3mph.

If you turn the unit off at a rest stop/while following a course you must press the start button before moving off again. I found this out by cutting 20mi off a ride :S

Auto-Scroll. This option turned on will automatically scroll through all of the main training screens you turned on above. So if you turn 3 main screens on you will scroll a minimum of 5 screens at the speed you set. It's highly annoying so I turned it off.

Start Notice: This setting means you can never forget to press start before a ride. You will be prompted onscreen to press Yes.

Heart Rate: Most people will have 1HRM to use across all profiles so you can pair it here.

Speed Zones: I uh....

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

System Settings.

Menu - Spanner - System - GPS (you can set a location here and turn the GPS off)

Menu - Spanner - System - Map - Map Visibility - Map Visibility Mode

6CEXd6t.png

szRh56Y.png

Zoom Levels Text Size both customizable to your taste.
DkWe6e4.png
VaDtLZx.png

You can choose how much detail the map screen shows. With "Most" selected I can pick out an individual cafe on a street it's so detailed. Haven't touched "Shaded Relief".

Menu - Spanner - System - Routing. Avoidance Setup screen specifically

dh2Cir5.png
YA5Z5k0.png

Menu - Spanner - System - Data Recording.

yM9W0og.png

You can force the 800 to save all of your data to the microSD card in this menu. This means if the unit ever crashes or has to be returned for repair, then all of your history won't be lost. However, if you also upload to Garmin Connect/Strava/Endomondo or similar, you will need to tell it where to find the activity files for upload. Connect and Strava will search Edge800/Unit first until you point it to /sd

Data Averaging: Lets you remove zeros from cadence and power averages. I have both on "Do not include"

Menu - Spanner - System - Units: Fairly self explanatory

qI1j1IG.png

Menu - Spanner - System - System Setup: As above

q6Hka2o.png

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Courses:

So you've got a course off one of the map sites (or made your own) and downloaded it to the 800. It'll look something like below.

Touch the route you desire and you'll get this. Mine is zoomed in on 8mi,don't worry this is purely to show the whole route. I'll add shots of the level of detail at some point.
v2ISZ9f.png
Mp13DYt.png

Press the Spanner.
MWYWIHy.png

Map Display.
wyQOWWU.png

Press the Blue ( I )
ck4Hotg.png

Or the Graph for elevation.
GLpKVoM.png

Press Go to collect $200 :laugh:

The unit will happily navigate you along your chosen route. But if you power the unit down at a stop

YOU MUST PRESS THE START BUTTON BEFORE CONTINUING.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Minor settings I sort of forgot about as I merrily trundled on.
Menu - Spanner - Bike Settings - Training Pages - Map None

eabZcN5.png
OWF5YZw.png
BklfrqP.png
j47XEyo.png

Changing this option does: As with the other fields you press and hold to change them.

XblyUir.png

Menu - Spanner - System - Display
7zmC6L4.png
You may have noticed that my background image is of a rather nice young lady dressed as Thor. This menu lets you change those and you can add a custom image if you wish.
Connect the 800 to your PC > My Computer > Garmin Edge 800 > Garmin - Backgrounds > Copy your selected picture into this folder with the others.​
Navigate back in the 800 to the Display menu and simply select your new wallpaper.​

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You may have noticed that my background image is of a rather nice young lady dressed as Thor.

Does displaying these background images have any effect on the Garmin 800's battery life?

The above-mentioned lady looks like she'd drain anyone's batteries fairly quickly!

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Does displaying these background images have any effect on the Garmin 800's battery life?

The above-mentioned lady looks like she'd drain anyone's batteries fairly quickly!
They display by default so any drain would be minimal*. Higher screen brightness (press the power button for the easy option) would likely be more.

*Granted. The standard images are quite small (Tracks is the biggest at 22kb) Lady Thor is 55kb, I can't say theres been a difference.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

@Shaun Could you add this to the bottom of post 5 please.

Menu - Spanner - System - Display - Colour Mode

This option changes how your map screen appears. Given the default colour of all courses is dark, selecting night mode mightn't be a visually pleasing idea unless you manually change the course.

Here are the modes.

ypVLyok.png
vUB5n57.png

e7DfBUQ.png
zzyGHat.png
13scXIp.png
kKv82UN.png

Menu - Spanner - System - Display - Screen Capture

This option turns your power button into a screenshot maker until you power the unit down. If you don't have Screen Capture on, then the unit (with a quick press) will reveal a Brightness setting - and 3 icons for connected ANT+ devices.

Within this menu there is also a Black N Yellow "Lock" button. Pressing this will completely lock your screen, handy if you put it temporarily into your pocket at a shop. Pressing the power button will take you back to the menu so you can unlock the unit again.

musa

Über Member
Nice one
On your courses page, please mention that you need to press the 'Turn Guidance' from off to on as the default is off, and that once you start the route theres no option to have guidance.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Nice one
On your courses page, please mention that you need to press the 'Turn Guidance' from off to on as the default is off, and that once you start the route theres no option to have guidance.​
Thanks for pointing that out, It's correct in the screenshot but I should have mentioned it a bit. :cheers:
Courses Update:
Turn Guidance: ON
Virtual Partner: OFF

Top Bottom