Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Alternatively if you want too continue but turn the device off. Press Start/Stop and switch off as normal when your ready to continue riding just press Start/Stop and the mileage and time will continue from where you left it.

fatblokish

Guru
Press the start button, same applies if you're following a course.

When you're done, press Start/Stop and press-hold reset as usual to clear all the data.

Normally, on returning home following a day's ride, I download the data onto Garmin connect. However last year I toured in France meaning that I could not download the data at the end of each day. In fact, when I got home, the first four days were recorded as a single event, and the remaining days into a second event.

In order to break up this long tour into individual days, should I have pressed and held "Lap/Reset" at the end of each day? (The "reset" bit worries me that I might lose the recorded data from that day, can I interpret this as a "save" function instead?)

ta

uclown2002

Guru
Normally, on returning home following a day's ride, I download the data onto Garmin connect. However last year I toured in France meaning that I could not download the data at the end of each day. In fact, when I got home, the first four days were recorded as a single event, and the remaining days into a second event.

In order to break up this long tour into individual days, should I have pressed and held "Lap/Reset" at the end of each day? (The "reset" bit worries me that I might lose the recorded data from that day, can I interpret this as a "save" function instead?)

ta
Correct; the reset button saves the activity. If you don't do this then Garmin just sees a continuous ride; hence your experience in France.

Nice thread! I've just bought one, about to use it for the first time in... 40 mins. Excited, I love new gadgets.

I had lived the options to save to device or SD card, and wondered the following, don't know if anyone can answer...

I have the discover trails option, so have the preloaded SD card in there. If I save tracks to the SD card, will it cause any problems due to having the maps on it - and is there even much space? Also, how many tracks with the device itself hold, and if it gets full will it automatically overwrite the oldest, or do we have to clear them all out once in a while?

musa

Über Member
Nice thread! I've just bought one, about to use it for the first time in... 40 mins. Excited, I love new gadgets.

I had lived the options to save to device or SD card, and wondered the following, don't know if anyone can answer...

I have the discover trails option, so have the preloaded SD card in there. If I save tracks to the SD card, will it cause any problems due to having the maps on it - and is there even much space? Also, how many tracks with the device itself hold, and if it gets full will it automatically overwrite the oldest, or do we have to clear them all out once in a while?

Maps and tracks have no relation other than when you use the track it will use the maps so no problems.

How big is the memory card? 2GB or 4GB? I have 4 plenty enough space even with 2 I reckon. Tracks, routes etc are kb sized files.

How many? That I don't know wait and find out

I believe you will have to delete them manually or write to the other storage device.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Internal memory is only 105mb or so, but it will hold probably thousands of courses and activity files. You can clear activities in the History menu.

No idea what size SD card comes with map bundles,but I'd be confident that there would be plenty of space on it. Unless you ride 10x a day you'll probably never need to panic.

Menu - System - Data recording will let you choose where your activity files or routes created from activities go - but IIRC routes sent directly from garmin connect will still go to the units internal memory

fatblokish

Guru
I think that there is a new software update available for users of the 800, who like me, bought their unit some time ago. Is this worth updating or, if it ain't broke...

Top Bottom