Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RiflemanSmith

www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5238
Thanks for that, I meant he should see the release notes if there were any bug fixes or new features to see if it is worth updating.
I have the 810 which I just updated, I lost a few settings as I had to do a system reset and load my backup.

zacklaws

Guru
I've recently switched to " 1 second recording" and find that a 7 hour ride uses aprox 644kb of space, so there is plenty of room for a good few rides, but I like to keep on top of things and delete histories and locations quite often, nothing worse than a ride being ruined by running out of space. On my old 305 if I recall, I could only ride for about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours before I ran out of space with just that one ride.

As for locations, I like to keep things tidy and hate having to search through lots of locations, most of which can be miles away, I create files for different areas I ride in with "Mapsource", then I delete the "Location" folder in the 800 and then load the required file. Ie this weekend I'm riding an Audax at Hebden Bridge, so my "local area" location file is deleted, and my Hebden Bridge location file, with only about 20 locations, which I will pass through, is loaded into the 800 once again with Mapsource. Usually as well, I name my home location with "0" so that it is always the first in the list and easy to find whilst riding and also locations I pass through, I prefix them in numerical order so then I do not have to remember place names. But what I cannot understand is, locations seem to be in order of the nearest and not in numerical and alaphabetical order, but why is my home location "0" always at the top of the list, regardless of how far away I am from it and other locations being nearer to me? even "1" or "2" or "3" do not come in order after "0"?

Anyone know the battery life on the Garmin 800 with the lighting turned all the way down, and 1 sec recording?

I had the light turned all the way up today, and the battery went from 100% to 37% after five hours. I'm taking it on a charity Solihull to Paris bike ride in a weeks time, and could have it turned on for ten hours plus, so want to know if it'll last!

Also, on the same front - if we stop for lunch, and I hit stop on the timer, and then turn the unit off, will it be able to resume from the same place when I turn it back on, or will the data have been reset and stored as a ride?

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No idea about battery life tbh. Never rode with it that long :P Helps if you keep it on the map screen as little as possible, pretty power hungry when it's displaying maps all of the time.

You can press stop and turn the unit off or just turn it off. Press start when you set off again. No need to touch the reset button until the entire ride is over.

Svendo

Guru
I don't know about battery life, but turning the unit off and on doesn't reset the ride. But you do have to remember to press start again to start recording. More likely with the 'movement detected, do you want to start recording?' feature than with the old 705.

Edit: cross posted! T.M.H.N.E.T. wins!

Thanks both :smile:

The fact about the map screen using the most is interesting. When I had it on for five hours, it was on the map screen (as I was using it to navigate) for almost the whole ride, at least four and a half hours, and on full brightness.

I've preprogrammed in the routes for S2P, but aren't actually a 'navigator' for the trip, so I think I'll leave it on the normal screen instead of the maps, turn down the brightness, switch it off at stops and keep my fingers crossed!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I save my rides to the SD Card where the main map is which the unit read fine and save the rides there, the slight annoyance is that Garmin Connect and all the other sites cannot automatic find and upload rides so I have to do a manual from file upload, anyone know if it is my file structure, it won't even do it automatic if I selct from memory card?

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

On GC at the top of the device connected pane there is a "Change" link. This will let you select /SD as the main source.

Strava has something similar I think

Andrew_P

In between here and there
On GC at the top of the device connected pane there is a "Change" link. This will let you select /SD as the main source.

Strava has something similar I think
Thanks ofr that but I forgot to mention it see the memory card but if I click upload new activities from memory card it just hangs there, I have to go manual upload --> Browse and find the file on the card.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Thanks ofr that but I forgot to mention it see the memory card but if I click upload new activities from memory card it just hangs there, I have to go manual upload --> Browse and find the file on the card.
Mine does too actually. On Firefox at least, haven't tried other browsers

Anyone know the battery life on the Garmin 800 with the lighting turned all the way down, and 1 sec recording?

I had the light turned all the way up today, and the battery went from 100% to 37% after five hours. I'm taking it on a charity Solihull to Paris bike ride in a weeks time, and could have it turned on for ten hours plus, so want to know if it'll last!

Also, on the same front - if we stop for lunch, and I hit stop on the timer, and then turn the unit off, will it be able to resume from the same place when I turn it back on, or will the data have been reset and stored as a ride?
I don't know the full life but when I did the ToFI left the B&B early morning and I needed the map/ navigation and the light came on every minute or two as well for a couple of hours, I then switched it off on the bus and used it on the actual ToF (it was on for another 11hours, recording only) and it still had juice when I got back. I was going to cycle back but got a lift but it still had juice after half an hour in Oudenarde. IIRC 14hours has been quoted my experience wouldn't have been far off that :smile:

Top Bottom