England : London Reasonably Rapid London to Southsea Castle March 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Seriously though, gears would be better for this. It's very, very rolling and some of the climbing is pretty nasty.

I broke the Silver Spesh, whats geared.. I have the Super Galaxy, but its slow and heavy..

And, the Single Speed Pompino is my choice flavor right now and not given me any grief yet. Egham Hill, Richmond Hill, no problems.. Its also surprisingly quick..

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was more aimed at dissuading Davy from SS (let alone fixed). Nothing a compact or triple can't handle, but it's a very up and down route. Nothing like Ditchling, but lots of sections with long grinds & the odd nasty ramp. Doing that twice with 65" is asking for trouble.

musa

Über Member
Unfortunately I'm out, I'm scheduled to work
was looking forward to doing this ride (and back)

Another day prehaps

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Stu.

Ill take the ride on a slightly less hilly route across Richmond Park if that's okay. No need to kill us up that nasty climb...

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Stu.

Ill take the ride on a slightly less hilly route across Richmond Park if that's okay. No need to kill us up that nasty climb...
Fair enough (never found the climb in question that bad, but as you can't use a lower gear I'll let you off ;) ). What route back did you have in mind?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Fair enough (never found the climb in question that bad, but as you can't use a lower gear I'll let you off ;) ). What route back did you have in mind?

Well, its mearly a short sharp climb, but, your current route is taking you on the dirt track.... I would take the 3rd exit at the roundabout just before that climb, but its fine, we end up in the same place... ;)

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Well, its mearly a short sharp climb, but, your current route is taking you on the dirt track.... I would take the 3rd exit at the roundabout just before that climb, but its fine, we end up in the same place... ;)
Might be still an act of OSM routing, I'll have another look at the route before the weekend because there are still a couple of little unintended detours on it.

gbs

Guru
Stu, please be aware that just after Cobham, kms33 -38 on your route, you will be in Plough Lane. V pretty and for the first time you will have the sense of being in the country. However, in my experience it is a p******e trap and tomorrow's rain will not improve matters. Tyre boots are advised and I hope that you will not need them.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Update...still planning to go ahead despite the forecasts all predicting rain. Tweaked the route last night, but there might still be a few variations, particularly for the bit after Petersfield, depending on the conditions.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Thanks Geoffrey. Yup, it isn't pretty but probably the least worst option. Might have a look at alternatives later though....

Top Bottom