England : London Reasonably Rapid London to Southsea Castle March 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thought it was about time I opened my ride organising account....
For anyone planning to ride down for the ferry to Cherbourg in June, a little route familiarisation, and for anyone else who fancies a rolling but not too taxing ride through some nice bits of 'ampshire countryside. Flat, it isn't (the four or five miles either side of Haslemere in particular) but there are no major climbs, just lots, and lots, of little ones, along with some lovely scenery. On account of the distance, and the terrain, I've billed this one as 'reasonably rapid'- I'd like the same kind of pace as the late lamented (by me at least) rides for food, I'm thinking that those who have other stuff to fit in on a Saturday would prefer it that way, but just like those we'll be going at the pace of the slowest least rapid rider, no-one will be left behind.

A smidge under 80 miles, starting from HPC at 7.30 or so, through Chelsea, over Putney Bridge, half a lap of Richmond Park, Esher (as Davy remembers, spelt E-S-H-E-R ;) ), Kingston, Ockham, a little bit of the bike path alongside the A3, through Guildford, then on to Godalming and down to Petersfield. From there, I'm favouring taking a dog-leg westwards down to the splendid view of the city from the top of the hill (one long grinding ascent in that stretch) then flat as a pancake to the Castle and the excellent cafe therein. I've done the trip north in five hours rolling, but we definitely won't be that quick, I reckon half-two to three o'clock depending on stops etc.

Halfway stop will be a pub en route in Godalming or thereabouts (I have one in mind, but those with local knowledge might have a suggestion or two) if people want a lunch stop, if a quicker option (and late lunch at the castle cafe) is preferred then there are plenty of shops on the way. We'll never be far from a station if anyone needs to bail, and services back to London (Waterloo and Victoria) from Pompey are frequent. For those who want to make the ride up to a century, Havant station is a flat ten miles away, Petersfield station a barely lumpier twenty.

musa

Über Member
Nice one I'm in

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Cheeky, Stu! T'was 'Esher Road' that was the issue...

But yes, I've put this in the diary and will confirm closer to the time, as by then am sure I will have shifted this nasty cold I've currently got.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
'Bump', and just confirming my attendance on this, as I'd completely forgotten about it on Friday evening.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Thanks Charlie. At the moment, balance of the forecasts seem to be chance of light rain, light crosswind, reasonably warm.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Pah!

*currently flatening the route back*

Anyhow, the Pompino is currently running on a 65.9" gear, am sure I can, and will, get up Ditchling on that..xx(

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Seriously though, gears would be better for this. It's very, very rolling and some of the climbing is pretty nasty.

Top Bottom