reborn cyclist and new to site- interested i your advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new bike on the c2w scheme and seek your advice on the best options.
To set the scene, I will try to give you as much info on my commute.

Me; 47yrs, male, 5'8'', 12st, pretty fit until I broke my leg a year ago.

The commute; from Brinsley, Notts, to Castle Donington. The shortest route is 18 miles each way on tarmac, over a mixture of flat, sloping and pretty hilly terrain.
An alternative route is 21 miles, of which 16 miles are canal towpaths, the rest semi decent road.

The budget; I dont want to spend more than a total of £750. Although it will be bought on c2w scheme, I have to pay back "loan" over 12 weeks, rather than months. I will also have to include helmet, lights mudguards etc

The bike; I will have to carry uniform which includes safety boots, trousers, polo and sweatshirt (I cant rely on gettig access to works building, only to the external safe which holds my truck keys). Load will probably weighing in at around 8 - 10kg. Therefore, I have thought about a Raleigh Royal for practical reasons, a Spez allez, because it looks about the best in my budget range, and I am strangely attracted to the Marin Inverness single speed - because I cant resist a crazy challenge! Nothing has been ruled out yet, and open to any good suggestions.

Would be really interested in what you folks think my best choice would be. I know its a long commute, and am prepared to suffer until I rebuild my fitness levels. Thanks.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Some doubts at moment about whether C2W is worthwhile. Main reason is tighter enforcement by HMRC of rule that purchase at end of lease must be at market value.

Search this forum for other threads.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
bakfiets.jpg
because it's practical, looks good and you can't resist a crazy challenge...Pity you can't get one inside your budget really :biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The novelty of a singlespeed will soon wear off if you have a hilly route.
The obvious choice would be a Galaxy type bike, proper gearing, built to carry loads, mountain bike quality hubs etc for durability.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
upsidedown said:
The novelty of a singlespeed will soon wear off if you have a hilly route.
The obvious choice would be a Galaxy type bike, proper gearing, built to carry loads, mountain bike quality hubs etc for durability.

Huh, still not worn off for me....:tongue:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Vikeonabike said:
Huh, still not worn off for me....;)

Try riding somewhere hilly then!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
shippers said:
You might be best with a tourer type- plenty of room for panniers.
I've got the Spec secteur sport- like it more than the allex sport and only a few quid more.
Here's a tourer for £650. Decent spec- Revolution Country Explorer.
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C440&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018343

A tourer might be built with load carrying in mind , i tried a light road bike with panniers and i felt the wheel were a bit squishy for my liking.

maybe evans cycles? they have a toureer for £500

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/regent-2010-road-bike-ec022483

shippers

Squishy wheels? Seems odd! Were the tyres pumped up properly? Mine go to 120psi.

I'm conscious that you have quite a long commute with quite a heavy load- thought the purpose build load carrier might be an idea, but obviously this would be less fun at the weekend

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I meant they were low spoke count wheels and did not feel solid enough for load carrying .(24 back 18 front i think ) carying 2 panniers with clothes,tools,food,waterproofs,lock,batteries etc.

I run around 110 psi on conti gator skins.

Top Bottom