Rebuilding Fitness After 4-5 Months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

With the weather we have been having recently here you're doing very well by just going out on a ride.
You'll be back to form by the time spring comes round.
Exactly...there's only one thing that makes you good on a bike,and that's riding a bike...just keep doing a bit,its all credit in the fitness bank,ready for the summer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What I've found is that if I try to push too hard I am actually slower than if I relax and just get on with it, just try and maintain a good cadence and get the bike in the right gear and fitness will come back

thetribe

Über Member
I'm in the same boat but I'm just enjoying the time back on the bike. I did 1,600 miles last year and the majority of that was before July. Then a combination of holidays, a back injury then working 6days a week from October-January meant I couldn't be bothered. I did 30 miles in the wind on Monday and I can still feel it in my legs today.

My plan is to just go out as often as I can and enjoy, wrapped up well, and then once the warmer weather appears I'll consider pushing for better fitness.

Good luck getting back to where you were. :bicycle:

chugsy

Whilst at the peak of my commuting (and 5:2) I hit a tram track/tram building works last June which buggered my elbow and shoulder up. In the last few months I attempted to cycle to work 2 - 3 times. I found my stamina to be fine although I dropped a few ave. mph (14 from 16) but crikey my once rock hard :P sit bone could no longer handle my saddle anymore! I used to be able to ride in heavy cotton shorts before the accident, now one commute with shorts plus padded cycling shorts results in sore bits for a week :sad:
It's only a Charge Spoon so nothing too hardcore as far as saddles go. This and the weather is what's holding me back :P

I was involved in an accdent on my bike last July and got back on it on 1st January. I had put 2 stone on in weight and had just been sitting down for 6 months to let the broken bones recover.
The first ride was just 8 miles and my neck and shoulders hurt. Alot. By the end of the month I managed a total of 275 miles and a 50 mile ride. My shoulders and neck still hurt (the bones in the neck have still not healed) but every ride is easier than the last. I have increased the pace from 14mph average up to 15.5mph and although that is nowhere near what I used to be able to do, at least it is a step in the right direction. I used to like to do quite long distance rides (100-200miles) but I cant do that yet and I may never be able to, it depends how the inuries heal, but at least I can still ride and if I cant do what I used to be able to, I will adapt my riding to suit.
Now I have got a bit of fitness I am aiming to build a good base of longer miles at slower pace and see how that goes. The weight is slowly coming down, a loss of 1/2 stone in January and I am hoping for something similar in February.

Top Bottom