Reccomend a cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oakster88

Hi
I'm looking for a cheap (under £50) cycle computer that reads the basics ie. Distance, time, avg speed, speed

I've got a smart watch that does the same but im finding looking at this while cycling is a little dicey especially swiping through each section

Apologies I've put this in the wrong section

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
I've got a very old wireless Cateye. If you're just after bog standard data then for £50 the world is your lobster. It doesn't have to be Cateye but as long as it's a reputable, reliable brand. I've never had any trouble other than replacing batteries. I wouldn't go down the wired route.

Cymro74

While cycle computers with magnets on spokes were great at the time I have found GPS is much simpler and accurate. After stripping my old cycle computers off my bikes I bought a second hand Garmin 800 for £50 and also got the mapping function. Keep on eye on eBay for a few weeks and you'll get something suitable.

OP
OP
Oakster88

Oakster88

While cycle computers with magnets on spokes were great at the time I have found GPS is much simpler and accurate. After stripping my old cycle computers off my bikes I bought a second hand Garmin 800 for £50 and also got the mapping function. Keep on eye on eBay for a few weeks and you'll get something suitable.
I used to have a Garmin Edge 200 but cannot find it & last time I tried syncing it to the Garmin site it would not read the device

Landsurfer

Veteran
Go to Cash Convertors and get a Garmin 200 ... their brill data loggers and give basic guidance .... Make sure you factory re-set on purchase as most are stolen from outside cafes ( 3 !! I will learn ) ... ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
indeed the bike i got for mini ck 1 came with a bike computer but it was way out compared to my gps based computer , by a couple of miles under over 20 miles.
If your really going budget and dont mind connecting the computer to the pc to upload rides ( which of course you dont have too ) then yes get an older garmin etc .The 200 is cheap and reliable , the 800 has more bells and whistles and both you can buy battery replacemnt kits for .Of the 2 an 800 is easier to replace the battery as the 200/500 has a wire you need to solder/glue if you still want the sound to work

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you already have the watch - why not just use a mount? https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/11078

1620206445756.png

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Like it. Didnt know this existed.

Wouldn't pick up my hear rate if attached to bike (not technically an issue for me)
Assuming your watch supports external devices then you could use a chest strap version that actually works rather than the dodgy wrist based measurement that it not accurate when cycling.

Top Bottom