Rechargeable AA Batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi

At the moment I am using ordinary Duracell Plus batteries on the Tesco 3W led torch. They are good and last quite long. However, the batteries tend to fade and its a decision whether to replace or get a little more out of them.

However, I thought if I had rechargables, if they begin to fade recharge them. This will give me full power again. This would mean bright lights all the times.

I have never used rechargeable batteries. I just need your advice whether to keep on using what I am or switch to rechargeables.

What do you think?

Thanks

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Defiantely recommened rechargeables. The ones recommeneded to me are eneloops, they're quite pricey but don't lose their charge over time as ordinary ni-mh batteries do.

Saying that, I'm using vapex at the moment, at 2900mah, it's a lot of bang for your buck ;)

I throughly recommened the component shop for batteries, I ordered quite late in the day and they plopped through the door the very next morning, 20 batteries delivered for £2.00!

buddha

Veteran
Which magazine has a review on batteries this month. For rechargeables they recommend:

1) Duracell ActiveCharge - £14.99 (4 pack) - 2000mAh - typical 6.3hrs running time - score 100%
2) GP ReCyko - £9.99 (4 pack) - 2050mAh - typical 6.5hrs running time - score 100%
3) Varta RechargeablePowerAccu - - £9.99 (4 pack) - 2700mAh - typical 8.5hrs running time - score 100%

though personally I'd go for the eneloops, in Panter's post.

+1 for the Vapex.

Rechargeables don't really fade though in high drain stuff like the 3w torch, they give pretty much full power to the end then kaput. Make sure you carry spares.

Danny

Legendary Member
Which magazine has just done a test of rechargeable batteries and picked out the following as best buys.

• Duracell Active Charge
  • GP Recyko+
  • Varta Power Accu
They all scored 100% in their performance tests. Having said that the other six make of battery tested scored between 94% and 98% so there is probably not a lot to choose between the leading brands.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Not all rechargeables fit Tesco torches because they vary in diameter. Uniross 2000mah fit, but Maplins 2500 mah (£10 for 8) do not. ;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Just about to post that myself. This highest capacity I've got in is 2300mAh.
One of the ways manufacturers get a higher capacity is to make them a bit bigger.
I wouldn't advise getting many until you've checked they fit.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I thought they were a head torch for some reason, in that case I very much doubt the Vapex will fit. They're certainly a far tighter fit in my Hope Vision than any other battery I've tried.

PrettyboyTim

I pitcked up two of those Tesco AA torches this morning. Has anyone tried eneloop or Panasonic infiniums in 'em? I'm thinking of getting the Vapex batteries for general use, but having a set of long-life rechargeables in my pannier for if I run out of juice...

Chuffy

Veteran
Mr Celine said:
Not all rechargeables fit Tesco torches because they vary in diameter. Uniross 2000mah fit, but Maplins 2500 mah (£10 for 8) do not. ;)
Tell me about it....:biggrin:

Or rather, I wish you'd told me about it 8 months ago!

Tynan

Veteran
stick to name brands, I bought a load very cheap from Hong Kong, no name literally and they work fine but nothig like the marked capacity

I use them all over the house, change the bike ones regularly, why not?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
For lights you use everyday, any decent rechargeables will do. For intermittent use, and if you carry spares, I strongly recommend Eneloops or Infiniums - these don't self-discharge the way other rechargeables do. (Or rather they do, but at an extremely slow rate - about 15% in 12 months.)

Ben

Downward

Guru
Ebay has the Uniross 15 minute Charger + 2 2100 Batteries for about £9 delivered.

I bought 2 and will keep one at work and one at home.

I can charge the batteries in the changing rooms at work if needed which is great

Top Bottom