Rechargeable AA Batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

I bought a Tesco 3W torch. Uniross, Hama and Maplins own didn't fit.
The rear and the front unscrews off the torch, so I put a reamer down it. Had to take 10 thou out.
This is all on another thread, sorry if I'm boring you all.

Anyway, Panasonic and Eveready Energizer have a pdf on their sites. The best charging regime is stated on both papers.
If you buy a commercial charger, see that it kicks them off with a charge current of 1C, i.e. 2.5A for a 2500mAhr cell. It will probably be called a '1 hour' charger. It must have a timer.

I use a benchtop power supply with a trip timer which pulls in shunts. 2500mAhr cells get 2.5 A for 1 hour followed by 250mA for two hours, then a trickle of 50mA until morning.

My CybaLite uses 4000mAhr C size cells. They get 4A for 1 hour, reducing to 400mA for two hours.

A lot of good info on Aukweb.

LondonCommuter

eneloops are very good, but I have not used other NiMh batteries so I don't know how they compare. I have been using them for a year and a half and generally charge once a week in the winter (when they might get about 8 hours use per week though they are never showing any signs of being discharged) and they are fine in the summer when the lights might hardly get used but you want them to work the odd time

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ben Lovejoy said:
For lights you use everyday, any decent rechargeables will do. For intermittent use, and if you carry spares, I strongly recommend Eneloops or Infiniums - these don't self-discharge the way other rechargeables do. (Or rather they do, but at an extremely slow rate - about 15% in 12 months.)

Ben

UNiROSS Hybrio are the same and available on the High St.

My main problem is in finding a decent charger, any recommendations??

johnnyh

Veteran
component-shop seem a bit hit and miss to me, ordered on Tuesday, email to say dispatched first class on Wednesday, and nothing delivered as yet.

First class being 1-2 days I thought, but might be wrong.

Anyhow, emailed them but have heard nothing back as yet so off to the shops to get some AA's for the weekend. :biggrin:

Top Bottom