Recomendations for ladies hybrid treking bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Traceywat

I'm looking for a hybrid treking bike to use for general fitness and family bike rides. I live in the country so it will be used on country lanes and cycle/canal paths, not in town. Been looking at basic Dawes, Barracuda, Claud Butler bikes etc but I'm a complete novice and am getting a bit confused by all the technical stuff! The budget is around £300. Any recommendations please.

A hybrid and a trekking bike are slightly different, albeit no definition fits perfectly but maybe this will help you search and choose. A hybrid bike is generally a road bike with flat handlebars. That means large 29" inch relatively skinny wheels, caliper brakes, upright seating position and a triple chainring on the crank.

A trekking bike is similar in appearance but will have a suspension fork, 26" wheels (nowadays probably 29" as well but with much wider tyres, cantilever, V- or disc brakes. It will have mountings for panniers and racks.

I find this link useful to help with definitions and pictures.

http://cyclingabout.com/a-complete-list-of-touring-bicycle-manufacturers-with-prices/

vickster

Legendary Member
I parked my bike next to one of these at the Dr's surgery this morning. Really good looking bike. Nice chunky (but not knobbly) tyres, a rack and mudguards. Looked pukka :okay:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/alight.2.city/19207/77386/

There is a cheaper one too, which I reckon you could get for around £300 with some haggling at a giant dealer

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/alight.3.city/19207/77387/

Discussed here http://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/urban-bikes/10-cheapest-urban-bikes-41390/3/

You don't want suspension. I'd look for one that has bigger wheels, more choice of tyres. Mudguards fitted. Also, think about luggage - family rides, maybe just a basket to drop a bag in, but if you can I'd get one that could take panniers which would me you could use it for shopping and picnics if you decide you enjoy cycling.

After that, go for a few tests rides then come back with links to the ones you like.

Or just get the giant!

Edit: just had a closer look at the giant: with mudguards, rack, lights, kickstand the £349 one is a pretty sweet deal. But make sure you fall in love with your choice.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
My Dawes...I added the butterfly handlebars, a kickstand and the rack bag. It came with the racks and mudguards.
If you can find one online (last years model) you'll get it for around £220.
It retailed at £330 and I paid £280 last year.
It's a nice bike :smile:

dawes.png

OP
OP
T

Traceywat

Thanks all, after reading the link re: difference between hybrid bikes I am leaning more towards a treking bike that would be suitable for occasional road use as opposed to a hybrid that is more geared for town/road cycling. We live in the country and have access to bridlepaths as well as many narrow country lanes, which can be quite bumpy so I think a treker would be more suitable? The Giant bikes both look great, very sturdy, but I'm just wondering if they are more for city/town use? Also What model Dawes is it please? Thanks all.

byegad

Legendary Member
My wife loves her Dawes Discovery 201. When she bought it several years ago I rode it home (Some 12 miles from shop to home.) and was really impressed at how well it rode.

You don't need suspension for country lanes or canal tow paths. You only need suspension for riding off-road trails at speed, then you need a good quality, effective sus fork. Cheap suspension is worse than none.
Pick a wheel size suited to your height. For riders of 5'4" upwards, large "700c" (also called 29") is fine.
For smaller riders, 700c can be a bit unwieldy but good, everyday bike using "26" MTB" wheels are rare.
Do you want a step through frame?

Trekking bikes usually have the characteristic butterfly bars, which are quite good for a variety of hand holds.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks all, after reading the link re: difference between hybrid bikes I am leaning more towards a treking bike that would be suitable for occasional road use as opposed to a hybrid that is more geared for town/road cycling. We live in the country and have access to bridlepaths as well as many narrow country lanes, which can be quite bumpy so I think a treker would be more suitable? The Giant bikes both look great, very sturdy, but I'm just wondering if they are more for city/town use? Also What model Dawes is it please? Thanks all.
My Dawes is the Mojave.

London Female

Über Member
I purchased one of the Dawes Sonorans for commuting and general riding to and from town and I loved it. Sadly my daughters friend has been using it over the winter and it has come back to me in a terrible state.

Top Bottom