Recommend a 26" touring tyre please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
As some of you know I bought a Koga Miyata World Traveller for a recent trip to NZ. The bike has been great, and the tyres are Continental Travel Contacts in 26 x 1.75 which get great reviews for round the world tours, and will handle dirt roads well. However I have a week of lightweight touring planned in southern Portugal, and was thinking about putting on some narrower tyres. About 1.5" would be ideal.

I am a big fan of Conti tyres, and personal experience of Schwalbe (hard to get on) has put me off them. I do have a pair of Specialized Nimbus on my Carerra Subway which have been good.

Conti do the Sport Contact, which is very slick, but could be ok, although only comes in a 1.6 or a 1.3. I feel 1.3 may be a bit hard riding, and also will look undersized.

Anyone got any views or comments they think might help?

domtyler

Über Member
I have been using the Sport Contact for some years now, albeit in 700x28 and have yet to have a puncture even though my bike is used daily for carrying a small child and all my stuff for work in front panniers. Nice and quick and as its a slick you needn't worry about getting one that can take a bit more air.

There was a similar thread the other day started by bigfattallbloke that you may want to check out.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've had good experience with Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard 26 x 1.25. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for lightweight touring.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Liking the journal on Crazguy, Jay!!! Sounded like a fantastic trip. You should post the link again!!

I've got spesh nimbus armadillos and like them, but haven't done that many miles on them (although they were perfect in India, come to think of it!)

I've just ordered some Continental Travel Contact's for my mountain bike as i want to do more road work than off road, i wont be doing any long tours on it but i plan to have some long days in the saddle around Devon (where i live) i think it'l be Rigid Forks for the next upgrade

Simon

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for the comments. I have stuck with what I have since I could not see anythin much narrower in the Conti range. Currently in Portugal having a great ride

J

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Your portugal trip looked fantastic! Dead jealous of all your trips...are you going to do some work now ?? ;)

Top Bottom