Recommend a cycling novel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

The Wheels of Chance - H G Wells
Charming little lightweight other-worldly piece. My first sig. line on C+ was a quote from it. You can read it online.

Dave5N said:
Love the new sig, Cathryn!
She must have been on the Paris Métro sometime! Here it is with the accent, Cathryn, if you want to cut'n'paste..... "Mutilée de Ski"

Bonno

Guru
One more kilometre and we're in the showers by Tim Hilton
A great read about life and cycling in fifties Britain

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pete said:
The Wheels of Chance - H G Wells
Charming little lightweight other-worldly piece. My first sig. line on C+ was a quote from it. You can read it online.

She must have been on the Paris Métro sometime! Here it is with the accent, Cathryn, if you want to cut'n'paste..... "Mutilée de Ski"

Thanks DaveN and Pete...I was very chuffed when I thought of it. Thanks for the accent too - I hate being gramatically incorrect!

Pete

Cathryn said:
Thanks DaveN and Pete...I was very chuffed when I thought of it. Thanks for the accent too - I hate being gramatically incorrect!
Here's hoping you don't stay 'mutilée' for too much longer! xx(

Noodley

Noodley said:
I have book tokens from Christmas and am heading "into town" this weekend (I live in a field) to seek out that book.

Waterstones did not have it in stock xx(

I have a better selection of cycling books than the nearest Waterstones.

just jim

I've read Three Men On A Bike a few times now, to remind myself not to worry too much about a complete lack of physical preparation before any sort of trip.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh! That reminds me - 'three men on the bummel' by Jerome J Jerome. It's the 3 men in a boat blokes some years later on a cyling holiday to the Black Forest, AFAICR. I didn't like it as much as the boat one.

TheDoctor said:
Oh! That reminds me - 'three men on the bummel' by Jerome J Jerome. It's the 3 men in a boat blokes some years later on a cyling holiday to the Black Forest, AFAICR. I didn't like it as much as the boat one.
That's because it's crap. The bits where he deigns to mention bikes and riding them are quite amusing but there aren't many of them.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chuffy said:
That's because it's crap. The bits where he deigns to mention bikes and riding them are quite amusing but there aren't many of them.

You didn't enjoy it, I'm guessing?:biggrin:

Next to '3 men in a boat' it's an unmitigated heap of steamy smelly stuff, but then most things are.

Just spotted a typo - it's Jerome K Jerome. Oopsy.

girofan said:
No need for a review. It's the biggest load of cobblers you are ever likely to read!
I wouldn't even donate it to a charity shop, in case some poor soul decided to buy it. Why should they be subject to the torture I endured.:biggrin::angry::angry:

Donate it to me! One of my Christmas pressies was a box with mushroom "seeds" in it. The suppliers recommend using an old paperback book, soaked in water and wrapped in a plastic bag with the seeds spread between the pages every 50 pages or so, as a substrate to grow the mushrooms on. This book sounds ideal.

Top Bottom