Recommend a decent portable car battery starter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bloody sick of this freezing weather. I dread the thought of attempting to fire up my diesel car in these temperatures. Yes i wait till the glow plug red light goes out before turning the ignition key and so far so good,but i'd feel better if i had some back up if the battery goes flat in trying to turn the engine on. I can't take my battery out to charge it with a battery charger as i just cannot carry a car battery from the car to my flat (about 50 yards) these days and i can't park the car outside then wire the battery up to a charger in my flat,as there are double yellows outside,so a few hours parked up on them is a big risk. I've found this on fleabay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Portable-Car-Jump-Starter-Air-Compressor-Battery-Start-Booster-Charger-Leads/131666306315?epid=13035195509&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1ea7ec650b:g:B1UAAOSwbl9f8xyH&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkBUIiHwYv5YgVss0WaiENzxmcRVClYQuvl8lA5eJZknzt5zHvj%2Fe1q3Lab0rU0OgTYofJgVxjvXXj%2FHDMgrNtor01Qhv
What do you reckon...good or not so good?🤔

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That’s not what I’d call portable when you can get kit that’s smaller than a paperback book that’ll do the job.

Search for “Arteck 2000a Peak Portable Car Jump Starter up to 9.0l Gas or 8.0l Diesel Engine” and you’ll get a lot of power in a very small package, less powerful ones are available if that’s overkill for your engine. I got mine on Amazon for £60 but a search on there shows nothing now. Try ebay or similar.

547758A8-69D9-4E32-BFB1-4A59C9C99CAA.jpeg

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That’s not what I’d call portable when you can get kit that’s smaller than a paperback book that’ll do the job.

Search for “Arteck 2000a Peak Portable Car Jump Starter up to 9.0l Gas or 8.0l Diesel Engine” and you’ll get a lot of power in a very small package, less powerful ones are available if that’s overkill for your engine. I got mine on Amazon for £60 but a search on there shows nothing now. Try ebay or similar.

View attachment 568135

I presume you charge those things up in a household socket?
I turn the ignition and it's like a power surge sometimes! The clock loses it's time and the red fuel warning light comes on. If it doesn't fire up first attempt,that's it,the battery is then flat!

D

Deleted member 26715

I presume you charge those things up in a household socket?
I turn the ignition and it's like a power surge sometimes! The clock loses it's time and the red fuel warning light comes on. If it doesn't fire up first attempt,that's it,the battery is then flat!
Your battery is foobar'd if that is the case, but that's not what you said in your first post, but if it's only 12 month old take it back, even the worst cheapest batteries have 12 months warranty

dodgy

Buying a battery charger to recharge a poorly conditioned battery is a bit like selling your TV to afford a video recorder.

johnnyb47

Guru
Batteries on modern cars usually behave differently as they did on old cars. Years ago a failing battery would give you some kind of notice or hint it was coming to the end of it's life. It would just turn the starter motor slower and slower before giving up.
Modern cars, with all there electronic gadgetry tend to stop a failing battery at a bat of an eye. One day they battery will appear fine but if its borderline and the voltage drops below a certain level the cars engine management system will stop it dead in its tracks to protect the delicate electronics.
I use volt meter that's constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter to monitor the battery. It's small and neat and gives you a general idea of if everything is fine..

Top Bottom