Recommend a digital pressure guage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
From £7.99 on Amazon to £112.99 on Wiggle there's quite the choice. I'm not obsessive about the pressure and wont use it that often, but don't want to take a floor standing pump on holidays.
Accurate to + or - 2lbs would work for me.

Which one offers value to you?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a mini pump with a gauge?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your question is little odd, as a pressure gauge is not a substitute for a track pump?
Either you don't take a pump on hols, but have pumped tyres to desired pressure before you go, and presumably have a mini pump with you incase of deflationary events?
Or maybe not, maybe you relay on co2 only??
Or if hiring a bike, use the track pump at the hire shop or request your desired pressure??

figbat

Slippery scientist
Out of interest, how is anyone able to know the accuracy of a gauge (whether digital or analogue) unless it is certified against an established reference? You state that you have found one gauge to read less than another - but which was right?

D

Deleted member 26715

No real experience with bikes, but for cars with Schrader valves I have a PCL calibrated gauge, although a few years since it was calibrated, we tested a few relatively inexpensive digital ones & none were very good, the old style blow out ones were better. But that won't help with Presta ones as they don't go high enough or fit for that matter.

Gillstay

Über Member
Out of interest, how is anyone able to know the accuracy of a gauge (whether digital or analogue) unless it is certified against an established reference? You state that you have found one gauge to read less than another - but which was right?

I did some work on car ones a few years ago and had them tested at Guildford Uni. The 1960's Dunlop pencil gauges were much better than the expensive digital one I had just bought. The pencil ones from a firm in Sheffield were even better.
So now if I need to test a shrader track pump, I check a car tyre with my pencil gauge then, use the track pump to see if it matches it.
Can dig out the gauge and find the firm if anyone is interested.

Gillstay

Über Member
Won't help anybody unfortunately nothing is made in Sheffield anymore :sad:

Cripes, knock the whole city why don't you! I got two pairs of victorian superb scissors restored there and PCL tire pressure gauges are still made there. Super accurate, and the one I still have. So well worth checking on.

D

Deleted member 26715

Cripes, knock the whole city why don't you! I got two pairs of victorian superb scissors restored there and PCL tire pressure gauges are still made there. Super accurate, and the one I still have. So well worth checking on.

If you check what & how much was made here, then compare it with what now is, yes an exaggeration but it does feel that way, but I suppose it's only the same as our other once great industrial cities.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
If you check what & how much was made here, then compare it with what now is, yes an exaggeration but it does feel that way, but I suppose it's only the same as our other once great industrial cities.

The new titanium brompton frames are made in Sheffield.

Top Bottom