Recommend a disc brake set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I got the info from Chain Reaction,
  • Staff
Answer:
This road disc brake caliper is developed for use with 140mm or 160mm rotors only as these are the common diameters used on Road bikes with Disc brakes. These calipers are intended to be use with Road Drop Levers.

A 200mm rotor diameter would be too large to be accommodated on a road bike.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/trp-spyre-mechanical-2-piston-disc-brake/rp-prod143623
I suspect they will work with 180 rotors as my front is that size and the Tektro calipers have simply had spacers added to bring them in line. Nothing in TRPs pdf installation document about rotor size. Maybe I’ll buy a 160 just in case.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 4995267, member: 45"]I don't know why people bother with mechanical calipers when Shimano hydraulics are so cheap, and fit and forget. That's for flat bars of course. I'm not sure how the land lies these days with hydraulic brifters.[/QUOTE]

Fear of hydraulics
ability to self fettle mechanicals
ability to use crosstop/additional levers with mechanicals

I prefer mechanical, doesn't make me right but I don't feel I'm losing out

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I know if one Shimano hydro brifter user that sez whilst the braking is fine, the shifting ain't so crisp. At least on their 105-level set.

The 105 hydros shift OK... but not as well as the equivalent 105 mechanicals - and they have a large bulbous hood shape not suited for smaller hands.
The Ultegra hydros have a smaller hood and much better shifting (but are much more spendy), the shift qulatity is up there with the Ultegra mechanicals.
The SRAM Force hydros have the same shifting action as the SRAM mechanicals, and the hood shape is also better for smaller hands.

Between Mrs Kes and I we own all the above... Personally I think the Shimano Ultegra Hydraulics as best of the bunch, and 105 Hydro is the worst.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The 105 hydros shift OK... but not as well as the equivalent 105 mechanicals - and they have a large bulbous hood shape not suited for smaller hands.
The Ultegra hydros have a smaller hood and much better shifting (but are much more spendy), the shift qulatity is up there with the Ultegra mechanicals.
The SRAM Force hydros have the same shifting action as the SRAM mechanicals, and the hood shape is also better for smaller hands.

Between Mrs Kes and I we own all the above... Personally I think the Shimano Ultegra Hydraulics as best of the bunch, and 105 Hydro is the worst.

I agree re 105 Hydro shifters - they feel slightly more agricultural than the non-Hydro's. On the other hand I do like the 'bigness' of the hoods as I have chubby mitts.

I've ridden a friends bike with SRAM Hydro's and despite their odd appearance they are really nice to hold and use.

I liked the Double Tap shifting too - neater than Shimano's solution imo.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I did ask about this in another thread but it generated no response so I assume there aren't many members using it.

Looks like an attempt at keeping costs down to me - at least until full Hydros become cheaper. Bit of a rehash of the old TRP Parabox mech/hydro system that didn't really take off.

What was bothering me was that I know my way (fairly well) around Hydros but there is nothing re maintenance on the Conducts on the web. That, and how do they perform against Shimano etc Hydros that are nothing short of spot on these days.

Not sure how the market will respond although Giant tend to know their stuff to be fair.

I agree re 105 Hydro shifters - they feel slightly more agricultural than the non-Hydro's. On the other hand I do like the 'bigness' of the hoods as I have chubby mitts.

I've ridden a friends bike with SRAM Hydro's and despite their odd appearance they are really nice to hold and use.

I liked the Double Tap shifting too - neater than Shimano's solution imo.

Agree despite the weird looks the SRAM hoods are really comfy and the weirdness suits how the XLS looks now with the Lauf forks and Genetic Digest bars.

Wish I'd gone hydro on the Robinson really as although the Hope v-twin set-up works fine it's not as nice as the full hydros.

An option for a hydro set-up is TRP's adaptors to fit Di2 climbing shifters to their hylex levers;this combined with with an XT di2 rear mech would be a cool 1x11(or even 2x11) set-up.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've just taken my Tiagra group set and cable actuated hydros off the Diverge and replaced with 105 11 speed hydro. The new group set is so much better than the old. The brakes are brilliant and the shifting is so much better

Top Bottom