Recommend a garmin type gizmo for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My preferred navigation when touring is a map on a bar bag, so I can see what's about, change route easily on a whim etc, with a phone as a back up in case I actually get lost.

But a very long tour is in planning next year, and maps probably won't be practicable for at least some of it.

Also it's likely to involve going to several largish cities en route, and turn by turn guidance would be nice for those. I rarely if ever cycle through unknown conurbations.

I've never used a navigation gizmo, but what I have in mind is:

1. Must fit on bars with klickfix handlebar bag
2. Turn by turn navigation
3. Waterproof
4. Readable in sunshine
5. Easy to upload routes from a mobile (will probably use cycle.travel for route planning, which I think spits out a gpx)
6. Long battery life.

I'm not at all interested in uploading fitness data, heat rate, ride stats etc which I'll just use strava on my phone for. I definitely don't want to put my phone on the bars of the bike, so a separate gizmo would be needed.

Don't mind paying for the right one.

I'm a compete virgin for such tech, so be gentle.

What's your recommendation?

All uphill

Still rolling along
My preferred navigation when touring is a map on a bar bag, so I can see what's about, change route easily on a whim etc, with a phone as a back up in case I actually get lost.

But a very long tour is in planning next year, and maps probably won't be practicable for at least some of it.

Also it's likely to involve going to several largish cities en route, and turn by turn guidance would be nice for those. I rarely if ever cycle through unknown conurbations.

I've never used a navigation gizmo, but what I have in mind is:

1. Must fit on bars with klickfix handlebar bag
2. Turn by turn navigation
3. Waterproof
4. Readable in sunshine
5. Easy to upload routes from a mobile (will probably use cycle.travel for route planning, which I think spits out a gpx)
6. Long battery life.

I'm not at all interested in uploading fitness data, heat rate, ride stats etc which I'll just use strava on my phone for. I definitely don't want to put my phone on the bars of the bike, so a separate gizmo would be needed.

Don't mind paying for the right one.

I'm a compete virgin for such tech, so be gentle.

What's your recommendation?

You've just summarised my requirements perfectly. Thanks!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think given you have never used a navigation gizmo you should choose a Wahoo. I admit my bias,having used both Wahoo and Garmin, I feel Wahoo is superior to Garmin.

The reason is this. A Wahoo is very simple to set up and manage via a smartphone app. This will shorten the learning curve and remove many of the frustrations I've experienced when using a Garmin. I imagine you won't want to go through a long learning experience.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I think given you have never used a navigation gizmo you should choose a Wahoo. I admit my bias,having used both Wahoo and Garmin, I feel Wahoo is superior to Garmin.

The reason is this. A Wahoo is very simple to set up and manage via a smartphone app. This will shorten the learning curve and remove many of the frustrations I've experienced when using a Garmin. I imagine you won't want to go through a long learning experience.

Thanks! Amy particular one that fits my needs?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Thanks! Amy particular one that fits my needs?

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is the simplest. It's what I use. Not a touch screen. You can make it beep for turns and I zoom in when in unknown urban areas. Very good battery life. Not great if you take a wrong turn but your phone would be a back up for that.

You can sync the app with most route planners or upload gpx files into it.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve toured with a Garmin Edge Explore and a Wahoo Elemnt Roam. I prefer the simplicity, elegance, and software reliability of the Wahoo.

Answering your requirements list:
1. Mounts are very similar 90 degree twist locks and can be fitted to the stem if your bar bag prevents an out front option.
2. Yes, arrows and/or lights.
3. Yes, waterproof.
4. Yes. The screen on my Wahoo isn’t as bright as the Garmin but it is more contrasty which helps.
5. Much simpler on the Wahoo. Also, the Garmin would occasionally freeze if the route was too long.
6. I have managed sixteen hours on a charge, something I could only achieve on the Garmin with a USB battery pack in the bar bag.

I hear what you say about using Strava on your phone but the Wahoo integrates really well and will, if you wish, upload via your phone at the end of your ride. As a bonus, you’re not unnecessarily draining your phone battery running location services permanently.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I’ve toured with a Garmin Edge Explore and a Wahoo Elemnt Roam. I prefer the simplicity, elegance, and software reliability of the Wahoo.

Answering your requirements list:
1. Mounts are very similar 90 degree twist locks and can be fitted to the stem if your bar bag prevents an out front option.
2. Yes, arrows and/or lights.
3. Yes, waterproof.
4. Yes. The screen on my Wahoo isn’t as bright as the Garmin but it is more contrasty which helps.
5. Much simpler on the Wahoo. Also, the Garmin would occasionally freeze if the route was too long.
6. I have managed sixteen hours on a charge, something I could only achieve on the Garmin with a USB battery pack in the bar bag.

I hear what you say about using Strava on your phone but the Wahoo integrates really well and will, if you wish, upload via your phone at the end of your ride. As a bonus, you’re not unnecessarily draining your phone battery running location services permanently.

Very helpful, thanks

Another recommendation for the Wahoo on the grounds of: simplicity of setup and operation; they have non-reflective screens which are vastly better to see than reflective touch screens. I'd suggest the Roam rather than the Bolt as, whilst the screen is not very much larger, that difference is quite significant when primarily using it for navigation. As has been said above, the provide stem-top mount is fine and will definitely be out of the bar bag if the supplied out-front mount interferes with the bag.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I like my Garmin Edge Explore 2. You can set it up easily via the Garmin Connect app on your phone, which also syncs your completed rides, plus send routes to it to navigate. Can also navigate to points of interest like a railway station without needing a phone. Battery life approx 24 hours, more than enough for long days in saddle on tour. Big clear screen in sunlight. Acquires satellites really fast, and navigation starts up in a snap. You can have it auto reroute if need be or prompt you on what to do if off route.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
They sync with most route planning sites (Strava, Komoot...) and up date automatically which is the simplest. There are normally ways of settling a route on the unit.

Lee_M

Guru
One other thing about the wahoo ( I have the bolt but they all do it) if you have a ridewithgps account and create a route online then pin it to your account, you can set the wahoo to automatically download it when you turn on.

That way you can use an easy website to create the route and not have to fight to get it onto your head unit

Top Bottom